David J. Craig House is Designated Historic LandmarkBy Marcia Hart
The David J. Craig House is one of two recently designated historic landmarks. Designation was approved unanimously by the Charlotte City Council on December 16, 1996. Dr. and Mrs. William R. Story are the proud owners of this new landmark, which is located at 900 Ardsley Road in the Myers Park neighborhood.
The David J. Craig House (also referred to as the Craig-Story House) was designed in 1929 by British-born Charlotte architect William H. Peeps. Among Peepsą other local works are Latta Arcade (1914), the C. C. Coddington House (1917-18) (Now the Morehead Inn), and the Ratcliffe Florist Shop (1929) (now Carpe Diem Restaurant). He also designed the Ratcliffe-Otterbourg House (1925) (now the offices of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission), which was also recently approved for historic designation.
The Craig House is an elegant example of the Tudor Revival style, a style based on medieval architecture, featuring decorative exterior timbering and a steeply pitched roof. The building materials are of highly contrasting colors and textures.
When a landmark is considered for historic designation, several criteria are considered, including the date of the property, the architectural merit/significance, integrity (degree of intactness of the building(s) and their setting), the associative history of the property, and whether or not there is a well-known designer (architect or landscape designer) associated with the property. Any locally designated historic landmark is required by the state of North Carolina to possess individual significance within this category.
In this case, the David J. Craig House possesses this requisite special significance for the following reasons: (1) it was designed by a well-known architect, (2) it is an excellent example of the Tudor Revival sytle), and (3) integrity (there have been minimal changes to the landscaping).
With the addition of the David J. Craig House, there are now 213 locally designated historic landmarks in Mecklenburg County, more than in any other county in North Carolina.
Foundation Restoring Welch-McIntosh House In DeritaBy Dr. Dan L. Morrill
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Preservation Foundation has acquired and is restoring the Welch-McIntosh House at 3301 Gibbon Road in the Derita community. Located just north of Charlotte along the Norfolk Southern tracks, this Transitional style cottage was erected in 1907 for George Welch, a prominent farmer of the area, who also operated a mineral spring on the site.
The Welch-McIntosh House is already under contract to a buyer. The money derived from the sale will be returned to the Foundation, to be used over and over again. Protective covenants are placed in the deed to assure that the building and its site will be preserved.
Historic Landmarks Commission Restores and Sells Funderburk Buildings in MatthewsThe Historic Landmarks Commission is dedicated to the preservation of historic residential and commercial areas throughout Mecklenburg County. A recent effort to save historic commerical buildings was a success in Matthews. Named for the president of the Carolina Central Railroad, Matthews became a railroad town for the surrounding cotton farmers of Mecklenburg County in the late nineteenth century. Among the early residents were members of the Funderburk family, who established a series of businesses on North Trade Street, including a livery stable, a bank, a blacksmith shop, a grist mill, a hardware store, and a dry goods store.
Before the renovation...
The buildings were threatened with demolition until the Historic Landmarks Commission purchased them with money provided by Mecklenburg County and the Town of Matthews. They have just been sold to private owners and will, therefore, be returned to the tax rolls.
After the renovation...