Blakeney House Update
This drawing was prepared by Yelverton Architects. It will be used to decide what modifications will need to be made to the James A. Blakeney House. This will come before the Historic Landmarks Commission at its February meeting.
Final drawings for the restoration of the mill houses on Patterson St. in North Charlotte and the Blakeney House on Blakeney Heath Road will be presented to the Design Review Committee of the Historic Landmarks Commission on January 21st. Look for work to begin on all of these structures in March or April.
Addition to HLC Study ListThe Historic Landmarks Commission has placed the Textile Mill Supply Company Building on the Study List for designation as a historic landmark. Designed by Lockwood Greene & Associates of Greenville, S.C., the building went into service in 1922. It served as a warehouse for textile supplies, like pulleys, belts, lubricants, etc. This building is a part of Charlotte's textile history.
UpdatesThis should be the year of the trolley. City Council will vote, probably in March, to begin the process of funding the construction of a bridge across Stonewall Street and upfitting the track between the Atherton Mill and 11th St. Charlotte Trolley, the non-profit organization that operates the streetcars, will be ready to meet this greatly expanded challenge. Stay tuned.
Dr. George E. Davis House
Efforts are underway to secure funding from the State to restore the Dr. George E. Davis House on Campus St. This was the home of the first African American professor at Johnson C. Smith University, then Biddle Institute. Dr. Davis was also a leader in establishing Rosenwald Schools throughout North Carolina in the early twentieth century.
The appraisal has arrived for the Croft Schoolhouse near Huntersville. Dr. Morrill will be visiting the owners soon to discuss how this important landmark might be preserved.
Rural Properties Plan ApprovedOn February 3rd the Board of County Commissioners approved an implementation plan for the preservation of rural historic buildings and landscapes. This is a direct outgrowth of the Rural Historic Resources Study conducted last summer by the Historic Landmarks Commission. Here are the main points of the plan.
1. A program of designating properties as local historic landmarks and listing them in the National Register of Historic Places will continue.
2. Amendments to local zoning ordinances to give greater protection to rural historic properties, including landscapes, will be investigated.
3. The Historic Landmarks Commission will conduct a series of public hearings to determine the most important historic rural resources in Mecklenburg County -- those that we cannot afford to lose.
4. The Historic Landmarks Comission will prepare a capital budget request for additional money for its historic preservation revolving fund.
5. Greater efforts will be make to coordinate the location of parks, schools and other public facilities where they can help preserve historic rural resources.
This could make an enormous difference in Mecklenburg County's historic preservation movement. Stay tuned for additional information.
UpdatesLast Summer we reported that the 1911 Fountain in Elmwood Cemetery would be moved to a new site. Well, the decision has been made. It will move to the building that you see rising in the 100 block of West Morehead Street. Stay tuned for more details.
The joint public hearings with the Charlotte City Council to consider historic landmark designation for the Atherton Cotton Mills and the Addison Apartments Buildings will occur on March 16th. We will let you know what happens.
Lillian Arhelger Memorial
Big news on the W. T. Alexander Slave Cemetery. The developer will be working with the Historic Landmarks Commission to preserve the site and make it accessible to the public. The cemetery, now hidden deep in the woods on the south side of Mallard Creek Church Road, will become the centerpiece of an apartment complex.
The Historic Landmarks Commission owns two silverside buses. Arrangements are being made to move them to the old Trolley Barn on South Blvd. We need help to get one of them rolling again.
Found on East Trade Street
The Historic Landmarks Commission was asked to take a look at some old underground pipeline and culvert on East Trade St. recently. Work crews from Duke Energy were tearing up the street to lay new cable and came upon this historic artifact. My guess is that this system was installed either in 1887, when the horse-drawn streetcars were going into service, or in 1891, when the electric streetcars started up. Also, E. Trade St. was a fashionable residential street in the early 1900's. In those days it was known as East Ave.
On The Move...
On February 27, 1998, the Historic Landmarks Commission towed its two silverside buses from the Thrift Mill to the former Trolley Barn on South Boulevard. Plans are still being developed for their eventual use.
Gluyas House Efforts Underway
The Historic Landmarks Commission is trying to save the Gluyas House on Mt. Holly Huntersville Road. The oldest part of the house is a log structure built in the mid nineteenth century. The Commission is negotiating with the developer about purchase.
The farm also contains a tenant house. These were once common in Mecklenburg County. Very few survive. The Commission will try to save it too.
UpdatesLook in the Leader for March 13, 1998. There is a feature article on the James A. Blakeney House that the Commission is restoring.
Sad news. The Foundation was unsuccessful in its attempt to get a $25,000 grant from the State for the expansion and development of the website. The grant would have allowed us to put a great deal more information on the site, including historic photographs. As you know, it is expensive to purchase hard drive space and to scan in hard copy. We will be seeking other sources of revenue.
The County Commission approved a rezoning that will assure the preservation of the Alexander Slave Cemetery. The developers of a new apartment complex agreed to cooperate with having the cemetery designated as a historic landmark and will institute deed covenants that will assure on-going protection for this significant historic site.
The Charlotte City Council voted on March 16th to designate the Atherton Cotton Mills and the Addison Apartments Building as historic landmarks. This will provide greater protection for these two significant reminders of our past.