Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

Pineville Historic Survey Form

Prepared by Paul Archambault for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004.

Photographs of Property (front and side elevations)

 

 
 

 

 
   
 

1.  Name of Property if any

Geraldine Garrett House

2.  Street Address, including City and Zip Code

907 Cone Avenue

Pineville, N.C. 28134

3.  UTM of Property

17 509382E   3881981N

4.  Tax Parcel Number of Property

22107410

5.  Owner of Property

Ronald and Geraldine Garrett

6.  Period or Date of Construction

1911

7.  Source of Information for #6.

Mecklenburg County Tax Records

8.  Present use of Property

J

a.  Agricultural, b. Commercial, c.  Educational, d. Entertainment, e. Government, f.  Industrial, g. Military, h. Museum, i. Park, j. Private Residence, k. Religious, l. Other

10.  Architectural Style

       The one-story, cross-gabled house is three-bays wide and three-bays deep.  It sits close to Cone Avenue facing west.  A single-bay, gabled wing projects from the facade.   An enclosed, partial-width, shed-roof porch protects the remainder of the facade.  The porch shelters a four-panel door and replacement windows.  Features  include replacement windows, window shelters, and original rectangular, wooden vents.  The house is covered with asbestos and sits on brick piers, which have been infilled with block.

 

11.  Architectural Significance

A

a.  Outstanding, b. Excellent, c. Notable, d. Commonplace

12.  Map Showing Location of Property

 

13.  Paragraph Briefly Summarizing Known History Of The Property.

            Geraldine moved to Pineville from Greenwood, S.C. when she was nineteen.  She worked at the mill from 1952-1987 and recalls working forty to sixty hour weeks. Geraldine says her home's original location was by the factory parking lot.

            This mill cottage was part of the mill village that was constructed in the early 1900s and continued its expansion in 1920 under the direction of Chadwick-Hoskins commissioned planner, Earle S. Draper.  His plan consisted of a semi-rural mill village which included a grid pattern of streets and half acre parcels so residents could grow vegetables and raise farm animals. 

            The mill-house architecture, consistent with many other Southern textile villages, reflected the common man.  Most of the mill workers were white yeoman farmers who migrated with their families to larger towns in search for employment.  Families in the mill village led a self-sufficient lifestyle as they cultivated gardens, raised chickens, cows, and pigs.  Mills provided the worker and his family homes for about one dollar per week along with water, ice, coal, and wood for the stoves.  Workers faced rough conditions and long hours at the mill as a typical work week lasted six days and averaged 12 to 16 hours per day.  The mill made sure that their workers could sufficiently support their families.

In the mid-1940s, Cone Mills bought the mill and built additions onto the mill cottages.  Improvements to the homes included bathrooms and asbestos shingles.  Cone Mills eventually ceased renting the homes to workers and gave them the first option to buy the homes.