Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

Pineville Historic Survey Form

Prepared by Paul Archambault for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004.

Photographs of Property (front and side elevations)

 

 
 

 

 
   
 

1.  Name of Property if any

Unknown

2.  Street Address, including City and Zip Code

403 Dover Street

Pineville, N.C. 28134

3.  UTM of Property

17 509738E   3882365N

4.  Tax Parcel Number of Property

22106303

5.  Owner of Property

Mc Falls and Associates Realty Inc.

6.  Period or Date of Construction

1911

7.  Source of Information for #6.

Mecklenburg County Tax Records

8.  Present use of Property

J

a.  Agricultural, b. Commercial, c.  Educational, d. Entertainment, e. Government, f.  Industrial, g. Military, h. Museum, i. Park, j. Private Residence, k. Religious, l. Other

10.  Architectural Style

      The one-and-a-half story, hipped-roof, Queen Anne style influenced cottage house is close to Dover Street facing west.  It is three-bays wide and three-bays deep. The facade is asymmetrical with a lower-cross gable, which is aligned with the north elevation.  The full-width, flat-roof porch extends partially along the south elevation.  The porch roof is supported by turned spindle columns with spindlework detailing. The porch shelters an original eight-over-eight window, and an eight-over-eight window and Craftsman-style door which are slightly recessed.  A one-room wing extends from the rear elevation.  Additional features include original eight-over-eight windows on both sides of the house and original rectangular, wooden vents. Two internal chimneys are located on the ridge line on both sides of the hipped-roof. The house is covered in vinyl and sits on brick piers, which have been infilled with block.

 

11.  Architectural Significance

A

a.  Outstanding, b. Excellent, c. Notable, d. Commonplace

12.  Map Showing Location of Property

 

13.  Paragraph Briefly Summarizing Known History Of The Property.

The Queen Anne cottage-style homes are located on the north end of the mill village on Dover Street and were originally occupied by the millís overseers of the spinning and weaving rooms.  In 1946, The Dover Yarn Mill sold the mill to Cone Mills.  The new company built additions to the mill, which included a new weave room.  In addition, they renovated the mill village by adding bathrooms and asbestos shingles to the homes.  Eventually, Cone Mills ceased their rental business and initially offered to sell the domiciles to the employees.  The new owners continued to make improvements to the homes.