Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

Pineville Historic Survey Form

Prepared by Paul Archambault for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004.

Photographs of Property (front and side elevations)

 

 

   
 

1.  Name of Property if any

Unknown

2.  Street Address, including City and Zip Code

504 Fisher Street

Pineville, N.C. 28134

3.  UTM of Property

17 509397E 3882103N

4.  Tax Parcel Number of Property

22105103

5.  Owner of Property

Roy C. Eaker

6.  Period or Date of Construction

1911

7.  Source of Information for #6.

Mecklenburg County Tax Records

8.  Present use of Property

J

a.  Agricultural, b. Commercial, c.  Educational, d. Entertainment, e. Government, f.  Industrial, g. Military, h. Museum, i. Park, j. Private Residence, k. Religious, l. Other

10.  Architectural Style

       The one-story, side-gabled house sits close to Fisher Street facing south.  It is three-bays wide and three-bays deep with a pronounced roof overhang with bracket suports.   The porch roof is supported by replacement wood posts and shelters a six-panel door and replacement sixteen light window.   Original features include six-over-six windows and rectangular, wooden vents.  The house is covered in asbestos and sits on brick piers, which have been infilled with block.

 

 

 

11.  Architectural Significance

A

a.  Outstanding, b. Excellent, c. Notable, d. Commonplace

12.  Map Showing Location of Property

13.  Paragraph Briefly Summarizing Known History Of The Property.

     The one-story cottages with  inset porches were originally occupied by the mill operatives.  These domiciles were representative of the mail-order housing market which had a tremendous influence in the mill villages and suburbs in the 1910s and 1920s. Earle Draper, designer of the mill village, ordered plans and materials from a company in Charleston, South Carolina called “Quick-bill Bungalows.”[1]

In 1946, The Dover Yarn Mill sold the mill to Cone Mills.  The new company built additions to the mill, which included a new weave room.  In addition, they renovated the mill village by adding bathrooms and asbestos shingles to the homes.  Eventually, Cone Mills ceased their rental business and initially offered to sell the domiciles to the employees.  The new owners continued to make improvements to the homes.


 

[1] Mattson, Richard. “The Rise of Small Towns,” in Small Towns of Mecklenburg County.  Located

                at http://www.cmhpf.org/neighborhoods/small-index.html : 1991.