Pineville Historic Survey Form
Prepared by Paul Archambault for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004.
Photographs of Property (front and side elevations)
1. Name of Property if any
Harold Smith House
2. Street Address, including City and Zip Code
416 James Street
Pineville, N.C. 28134
3. UTM of Property
17 509587E 3882078N
4. Tax Parcel Number of Property
5. Owner of Property
Maybelle Smith and J.W. Smith
6. Period or Date of Construction
7. Source of Information for #6.
Mecklenburg County Tax Records
8. Present use of Property
a. Agricultural, b. Commercial, c. Educational, d. Entertainment, e. Government, f. Industrial, g. Military, h. Museum, i. Park, j. Private Residence, k. Religious, l. Other
10. Architectural Style
The one-half story, hipped-roof cottage with a shed dormer and inset porch is three-bays wide and three-bays deep. It sits close to James Street facing south. The porch is supported by wood-column posts and shelters a Craftsman style door and replacement sixteen light window. Original features include six-over-six windows and rectangular, wooden vents. The house is covered in asbestos and sits on brick piers, which have been infilled with block.
11. Architectural Significance
a. Outstanding, b. Excellent, c. Notable, d. Commonplace
12. Map Showing Location of Property
13. Paragraph Briefly Summarizing Known History Of The Property.
Harold Smith, resident of 416 James Street, grew up in this house as his father, William, began working at the mill in 1908 at the age of 6 and retired in 1968. Mr. Smith followed in his father's footsteps and worked at the mill from 1953 until 1970. Growing up, Harold and his family never struggled through financial troubles. Steady mill work and self-sufficiency at home with a garden and farm animals (chickens, pigs) always provided the family with great support.( Interview with Harold Smith, 6/8/04)
The one-story square cottages with hipped-roofs, shed dormers, and inset porches were originally occupied by the mill operatives. These domiciles were representative of the mail-order housing market which had a tremendous influence in the mill villages and suburbs in the 1910s and 1920s. Earle Draper, designer of the mill village, ordered plans and materials from a company in Charleston, South Carolina called “Quick-bill Bungalows.”
In 1946, The Dover Yarn Mill sold the mill to Cone Mills. The new company built additions to the mill, which included a new weave room. In addition, they renovated the mill village by adding bathrooms and asbestos shingles to the homes. Eventually, Cone Mills ceased their rental business and initially offered to sell the domiciles to the employees. The new owners continued to make improvements to the homes.
 Mattson, Richard. “The Rise of Small Towns,” in Small Towns of Mecklenburg County. Located