Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

Pineville Historic Survey Form

Prepared by Paul Archambault for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004.

Photographs of Property (front and side elevations)

 

 

 

 
   
 

1.  Name of Property if any

Unknown

2.  Street Address, including City and Zip Code

306 Johnston Drive

Pineville, N.C. 28134

3.  UTM of Property

    17 509925E  3882392N

4.  Tax Parcel Number of Property

    22106207

5.  Owner of Property

     W.A. Yandell Rental and Investment Co. Inc.

6.  Period or Date of Construction

      1911

7.  Source of Information for #6.

Mecklenburg County Tax Records

8.  Present use of Property

J

a.  Agricultural, b. Commercial, c.  Educational, d. Entertainment, e. Government, f.  Industrial, g. Military, h. Museum, i. Park, j. Private Residence, k. Religious, l. Other

10.  Architectural Style

      The one-and-half story hipped-roof house sits close to Johnston Drive facing east.  It is three-bays wide and two-bays deep.  The full-width, shed-roofed porch is shelters two six-over-six windows and a Craftsman-Style door and is supported by tapered posts.  The remainder of the porch is enclosed with five replacement windows. A one-room wing aligned with the south elevation extends from the rear elevation.  Original features include six-over-six windows, rectangular, wooden vents, and an internal chimney.  The house is covered with wood and sits on a concrete foundation.

 

11.  Architectural Significance

A

a.  Outstanding, b. Excellent, c. Notable, d. Commonplace

12.  Map Showing Location of Property

 

13.  Paragraph Briefly Summarizing Known History Of The Property.

    The home was moved and was originally located south of the mill. The one-story square cottages with hipped-roofs was originally occupied by the mill operatives.  These domiciles were representative of the mail-order housing market which had a tremendous influence in the mill villages and suburbs in the 1910s and 1920s. Earle Draper, designer of the mill village, ordered plans and materials from a company in Charleston, South Carolina called “Quick-bill Bungalows.”[1]

In 1946, The Dover Yarn Mill sold the mill to Cone Mills.  The new company built additions to the mill, which included a new weave room.  In addition, they renovated the mill village by adding bathrooms and asbestos shingles to the homes.  Eventually, Cone Mills ceased their rental business and initially offered to sell the domiciles to the employees.  The new owners continued to make improvements to the homes.


 

[1] Mattson, Richard. “The Rise of Small Towns,” in Small Towns of Mecklenburg County.  Located

                at http://www.cmhpf.org/neighborhoods/small-index.html : 1991.