Pineville Historic Survey Form
Prepared by Paul Archambault for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004.
Photographs of Property (front and side elevations)
1. Name of Property if any
Oak Grove Baptist Church
2. Street Address, including City and Zip Code
308 Johnston Drive
Pineville, N.C. 28134
3. UTM of Property
17 509900E 3882356N
4. Tax Parcel Number of Property
5. Owner of Property
Oak Grove Baptist Church (Trustees)
6. Period or Date of Construction
7. Source of Information for #6.
Mecklenburg County Tax Records
8. Present use of Property
a. Agricultural, b. Commercial, c. Educational, d. Entertainment, e. Government, f. Industrial, g. Military, h. Museum, i. Park, j. Private Residence, k. Religious, l. Other
10. Architectural Style
The tall, single-story, brick sanctuary is three-bays wide and five-bays deep. It sits close to Johnston Drive facing east. The facade features two segmental arch window openings filled by six-over-six rectangular windows. It also includes a brick narthex with a segmental arch doorway with multi-panel double doors, an arched wooden vent, and a parapet decorated by widely spaced castellations. The top of the facade features an arched wooden vent, and a parapet decorated by widely spaced castellations. The south and north elevations include segmental, arch window openings filled with six-over-six, stained-glass, rectangular windows. The rear elevation features one-bay wide and deep wings with shallow hipped roofs, and six-over-six, stained-glass, rectangular windows, which protrude from the north and south elevations. In addition, a two-story gabled addition extends from the rear elevation. The addition includes a glass door and an arched wooden vent.
11. Architectural Significance
a. Outstanding, b. Excellent, c. Notable, d. Commonplace
12. Map Showing Location of Property
13. Paragraph Briefly Summarizing Known History Of The Property.
The Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1908 by Amziah Davis, Ned Houston, and Will O’Leary. In 1913, land was purchased and the Church was located in the Arrowood Industrial Park. After relocating the Church two times, Oak Grove found its home on its present site at 308 Johnston Drive in 1975, which used to be the home of the Pineville Church of the Nazarene.