Pineville Historic Survey Form
Prepared by Paul Archambault for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004.
Photographs of Property (front and side elevations)
1. Name of Property if any
2. Street Address, including City and Zip Code
220 Main Street
Pineville, N.C. 28134
3. UTM of Property
17 510051E 3882550N
4. Tax Parcel Number of Property
5. Owner of Property
William F. and Nancy Smith
6. Period or Date of Construction
Bldg. 1: 1930 Bldg 2: 1946
7. Source of Information for #6.
Mecklenburg County Tax Records
8. Present use of Property
B and K
a. Agricultural, b. Commercial, c. Educational, d. Entertainment, e. Government, f. Industrial, g. Military, h. Museum, i. Park, j. Private Residence, k. Religious, l. Other
10. Architectural Style
The one-and-half-story, front-gabled, brick building sits close to Main Street facing south. The facade is symmetrical featuring two replacement windows with canvas hoods and two windows which are boarded, and a brick, gabled porch with rectangular transom and sidelights. The porch roof shelters the entrance and two replacement doors. A one-room, gabled wing with two replacement windows and an external stone chimney protrudes from the rear of the east elevation. A side-gabled, brick addition with a pronounced roof overhang supported by brackets extends from the rear elevation. The addition features a one-room, gabled wing which protrudes from the rear elevation and features a roof overhang supported by brackets and shelters two six-panel doors. Further, two, brick, one-room half-gabled wings aligned with east and west elevations extend from the rear elevation. Additional features include original, rectangular, wooden vents, replacement windows, canvas window hoods, an internal brick chimney, and a six-panel door. The building rests on brick piers which have been infilled with block.
11. Architectural Significance
a. Outstanding, b. Excellent, c. Notable, d. Commonplace
12. Map Showing Location of Property
13. Paragraph Briefly Summarizing Known History Of The Property.
Before any churches were established in Pineville, Presbyterians and Methodists met at one-room schoolhouse on 401 Johnston Drive to worship. In 1876, the Pineville Presbyterian Church was founded and constructed. Samuel and his son, John, deeded land on the corner of Main Street and College Street to the board of trustees of the Presbyterian Church on January 22, 1876. The cost of construction was $2,000 and the church was built from brick made from clay on the banks of Sugar Creek. The first service took place on Sunday, April 2, 1876 as Reverend G.S. Robinson delivered the sermon. The one-room church was remodeled in 1930 when a six-room Sunday School Building was added. In 1938, W.A. Rogers built a room on the right side of the structure where “Ladies Bible Class” was held. The Church later moved to a new edifice on Park Road in 1965.