Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History



Pineville Historic Survey Form

Prepared by Paul Archambault for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, 2004.

Photographs of Property (front and side elevations)





1.  Name of Property if any


2.  Street Address, including City and Zip Code

318 Price Street

Pineville, N.C. 28134

3.  UTM of Property

17 509763E   3882294N

4.  Tax Parcel Number of Property


5.  Owner of Property

Teresa C. Davis

6.  Period or Date of Construction


7.  Source of Information for #6.


8.  Present use of Property


a.  Agricultural, b. Commercial, c.  Educational, d. Entertainment, e. Government, f.  Industrial, g. Military, h. Museum, i. Park, j. Private Residence, k. Religious, l. Other

10.  Architectural Style

    The one-story, cross-gabled house is three-bays wide and three-bays deep.  It sits close to Price Street facing south.  A single-bay, gabled wing projects from the facade.   An additional two-story side-gable aligned with the facade projects from the east elevation.  A partial-width hipped-roof porch protects the remainder of the facade.  The porch is supported by replacement wood posts and shelters a six-panel door and replacement sixteen light window.   A one-room wing with a shed-roof porch extends from the rear elevation.  Original features  include  six-over-six windows and  rectangular, wooden vents.  The house is covered in vinyl and sits on brick piers, which have been infilled with block.


11.  Architectural Significance


a.  Outstanding, b. Excellent, c. Notable, d. Commonplace

12.  Map Showing Location of Property


13.  Paragraph Briefly Summarizing Known History Of The Property.

       Terry Davis, owner and native of Pineville, said her house was moved from the Cone Mills parking lot.  The area where her house now sits was an area of recreation for children in the town called "The Jungle."

        This mill cottage was part of the mill village that was constructed in the early 1900s and continued its expansion in 1920 under the direction of Chadwick-Hoskins commissioned planner, Earle S. Draper.  His plan consisted of a semi-rural mill village which included a grid pattern of streets and half acre parcels so residents could grow vegetables and raise farm animals. 

The mill-house architecture, consistent with many other Southern textile villages, reflected the common man.  Most of the mill workers were white yeoman farmers who migrated with their families to larger towns in search for employment.  Families in the mill village led a self-sufficient lifestyle as they cultivated gardens, raised chickens, cows, and pigs.  Mills provided the worker and his family homes for about one dollar per week along with water, ice, coal, and wood for the stoves.  Workers faced rough conditions and long hours at the mill as a typical work week lasted six days and averaged 12 to 16 hours per day.  The mill made sure that their workers could sufficiently support their families.

In 1946, The Dover Yarn Mill sold the mill to Cone Mills.  The new company built additions to the mill, which included a new weave room.  In addition, they renovated the mill village by adding bathrooms and asbestos shingles to the homes.  Eventually, Cone Mills ceased their rental business and initially offered to sell the domiciles to the employees.  The new owners continued to make improvements to the homes.