Location: 2100 Randolph Road, Charlotte, N. C.
Time: 6:00 p.m. - 6:55 p.m.
Joe Kluttz, Committee Chairman
Yolanda Johnson-Gess, Committee Vice-Chairman
Bryan Turner, HLC Projects Manager
Catherine Browning, First Charlotte Properties(Realtor, Grier House)
Mary Lynn Morrill, HLC Recording Consultant
1. Opening Remarks: Mr. Kluttz
Mr. Kluttz welcomed everyone to the meeting.
2. Director’s Report: Dr. Morrill
Dr. Morrill could not be present due to the fact that he had to attend
the Town Board Meeting in Matthews representing the HLC’s interest in the
3. Review Purchase of Charlotte Cotton Mills
Mr. Turner reported for Mr. Peter Pappas and Mr. Wade Finger who could
not be present. Mr. Turner said that negotiations continue regarding the
sale of the HLC’s section of the Charlotte Cotton Mills, 508 W. 5th Street.
Mr. Turner reported that Mr. Pappas had 60 parking spaces and the HLC had 40
parking spaces at the outset. The HLC can buy 9 available spaces at a cost
of $15,250.00 per space if it desires to do so.
4. Projects Status Review: Mr. Turner
- Charlotte Cotton Mills, 508 W. 5th St.: Property is being marketed by
Pappas Properties. Minor floor alteration proposal was approved by HLC at
the April meeting. No modifications have been made at the request of Pappas
- Oehler Farm: Stabilization construction is on hold due to lack of
- Rozzell House, 11647 Rozzelles Ferry Rd.: Substantial completion on the
house has been achieved. Remaining work continues on outbuildings. Tenant
house is vacant.
- McAuley House: Stabilization construction is on hold due to lack of
- W. T. Alexander House : Property is being marketed by MECA Properties.
Three inquiries since property was listed; no serious prospects.
- Grier-Rea House, 7601 Providence Rd.: Scope of services for completion
of exterior stabilization/restoration has been finalized. Design is
underway. Interior lead paint abatement is approximately 40% complete.
- Grier House, 4647 McKee Rd.: Stabilization/Renovations have been
complete. First Charlotte Properties is marketing the property for sale.
- Trolley Car Barn: Renovation is underway
- Grand Theater, 333 Beatties Ford Rd.: NWCCD is trying to complete
closing on the project. They are looking at other options for redevelopment
of the property.
- Yandell (Oakley) House, 129 Main St., Pineville, N. C.: Property is
being marketed by MECA Properties. May - 5 prospects, June - 3 prospects,
July - 5 prospects, August - 10 prospects, September - 3 prospects to date.
- Bethesda School, 13129 Alexanderana Rd.: HLC has attempted to relocate
the building. HLC staff has met with CVSS to discuss plan to relocate school
building to Rural Hill. Plan to request special funding from BOCC for
- P & N Depot, Old Mt. Holly Rd.: Building has been secured by HLC.
5. Projects Financial Status: Mr. Turner
Mr. Turner distributed the current financial data regarding the projects.
6. Update of Marketing Packages
a. W. T. Alexander Plantation: The property continues to be marketed by
MECA Properties. No offers have been received on the property. See the
update under Number 4 above.
b. Oakley(Yandell) House: The property continues to be marketed by MECA
Properties. See the update under Number 4 above.
c. Sidney & Ethel Grier House, 4647 McKee Road: Ms. Browning was present
to discuss the current situation with the Committee. The property is being
marketed for $500,000. Ms. Browning said that very little interest has been
shown in the house. She said that the two major negatives are the price and
the fact that the house sits in the middle of a Portrait Home condominium
complex. Even though the house is on two acres of land and has 2,950 square
feet, it does not have kitchen and bathroom fixtures. Ms. Browning said that
the HLC can consider auctioning the house if it so desires. She explained
what is involved with a house auction. Mr. Turner said he would be happy to
get estimates to provide a completed kitchen and bathrooms in the house. The
Committee discussed the different marketing options.
MR. NORMAN PRESENTED A MOTION SECONDED BY MS. BOS TO RECOMMEND TO THE
HISTORIC LANDMARKS COMMISSION THAT THE GRIER HOUSE, 4647 McKEE ROAD,
CHARLOTTE, N. C., BE MARKETED FOR A SELLING PRICE OF $449,500.00. THE
COMMITTEE UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED THE MOTION.
7. Review of Prospective Projects
Mr. Turner reported that the following properties are being
considered as prospective projects:
a. Jordan Farm, Hus McGinnis Road
b. P & N Thrift Depot, Old Mt. Holly Rd.
c. Bost House, Matthews, N. C.
d. Bethesda School, 13129 Alexanderana Rd.
8. Old Business
There was no old business
9. New Business
Mr. Norman, Chairman of the HLC’s Survey Committee, reported that the
Committee met September 2 and looked at the Center City Survey which is
being prepared by Dr. Morrill and Mr. Stewart Gray. He said that the
Charlotte Observer featured a fine article on the Survey in the
September 3, 2004 issue of the paper.
MS. BOS PRESENTED A MOTION SECONDED BY MR. NORMAN THAT THE MEETING
ADJOURN AT 6:55 P.M. THE COMMITTEE UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED THE MOTION.