T. T. GILMER HOUSE
This report was written on April 2, 1986
1. Name and location of the property: The property known as the T.
T. Gilmer House is located at 512-514 Fenton Place, Charlotte, North
2. Name, address and telephone number of the present owner of the
property: The owner of the property is:
Eastern Federal Corporation
513 South Tryon Street
Charlotte, N.C. 28202
3. Representative photographs of the property: This report
contains representative photographs of the property.
4. A map depicting the location of the property: This report
contains a map which depicts the location of the property.
5. Current Deed Book Reference to the property: The most recent
deed to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County Deed Book 3705, Page
713. The Tax Parcel Number of the property is: 155-061-05.
6. A brief historical sketch of the property: This report contains
a brief historical sketch of the property prepared by Dr. William H.
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This report
contains a brief architectural description of the property prepared by Mr.
Joseph Schuchman, edited by Dr. Dan L. Morrill.
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets the
criteria for designation set forth in N.C.G.S. 160A-399.4:
a. Special significance in terms of its history, architecture,
and/or cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property
known as the T. T. Gilmer House does possess special significance in terms
of Charlotte-Mecklenburg. The Commission bases its judgment on the
following considerations: 1) the T. T. Gilmer House (1911-12) is one of
the few surviving turn-of-the-century mansions which were constructed
along the eastern side of Providence Road, and it is certainly one of the
better preserved, even though it has been moved from its original site; 2)
the T. T. Gilmer House documents the residential character of the eastern
half of Providence Road before this section gave way to commercialization;
3) the T. T. Gilmer House is a locally-significant example of the Colonial
Revival style, which was becoming increasingly popular among Charlotte's
elite in the early 1900's; and 4) the original owner and occupant of the
house, Thornwell Tillotson Gilmer (1859-1928), was a prominent civic and
business person in early twentieth-century Charlotte.
b. Integrity of design, setting, workmanship, materials, feeling,
and/or association: The Commission contends that the architectural
description included in this report demonstrates that the exterior of the
property known as the T. T. Gilmer House meets this criterion. Admittedly,
the house has lost its context, and several alterations and additions have
been made over the years. However, on balance, the Commission believes
that the T. T. Gilmer House possesses individual architectural
significance, especially when one takes into account how little remains of
the what used to be an imposing residential corridor along the eastern
side of Providence Road.
9. Ad Valorem Tax Appraisal: The Commission is aware that
designation would allow the owner to apply for an automatic deferral of 50%
of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any portion of the property which becomes
"historic property." The current appraised value of the improvements is
$19,240. The current appraised value of the .854 acres of land is $102,300.
The total appraised value of the property is $121,540. The property is zoned
Date of Preparation of this Report: April 2, 1986
Prepared by: Dr. Dan L. Morrill
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission
1225 S. Caldwell St.
Charlotte, N.C. 28203
Dr. William H. Huffman
Just off busy Providence Road on the much quieter Fenton Place in Myers
Park one finds the T. T. Gilmer house, which clearly seems to be from
another time than that of its neighbors, and so it is. The house was built
about 1912, when that part of the county, some two miles south of town as
the crow flies, was well out in the country. The attraction to build a place
so far out of town was provided by two things: the development of one of
Charlotte's finest new streetcar suburbs in that area,
Myers Park, and the availability of prime, inexpensive land.
In 1911, entrepreneur George Stephens put together a development package
for the suburb of Myers Park on land purchased from his father-in-law, J. R.
Myers, and dairy farmer McD. Watkins, and hired Boston designer
John Nolen to lay it out. The original Myers Park was situated on the
west side of Providence Road, and residents could commute to town on the
trolley, which ran out of town along Queens Road to Queens College. On the
east side of Providence road was some well-placed farmland that fell outside
the boundaries of Myers Park, but was close enough to take advantage of its
improvements. Here is where Gilmer chose to build a new house.
In 1912, Gilmer bought two parcels of property there: one from his
widowed mother-in law, Ida Tatem King, which had one hundred feet of
frontage on Providence Road and went back two hundred and fifty feet; and
another from McD. Watkins of about two acres behind the Providence lot.
2 At the time, Thornwell Tillotson Gilmer (1859-1928) was the
treasurer and manager of the Gilmer-Moore Company, a shoe store located at
16 S. Tryon Street, a site now occupied by One Tryon Center. 3
Born in Harrisburg in Cabarrus County, he was the son of Dr. Samuel and Jane
Gilmer, and came to Charlotte as a young man to seek his fortune. After
working in several stores as a clerk, he was able to take advantage of the
city's fast-growing economy based on its being the focus of New South
industrialization of the Piedmont Carolinas by going into business for
himself. His active career in commercial, civic and church circles made him
a well-known figure in the city, and he also held the vice-presidency of the
Southern Industrial Bank. 4
On October 12, 1897, Gilmer married a native Charlottean, Mary King (
1873-1970). Mrs. Gilmer, who was the daughter of George H. and Ida Tatem
King, was educated at the old Elizabeth College (located on the site of the
present Presbyterian Hospital at the top of Elizabeth Avenue). 5
That was in fact the year that development first took place along Elizabeth
Avenue based on extending the
streetcar line up the hill to Elizabeth College, and the Gilmers began
married life by building a house at 703 Elizabeth Avenue in the new suburb.
By 1912, subsequent development put the Gilmers in the middle of the
suburbs rather than at the edge, and they made plans to move farther out in
conjunction with the new Myers Park community. The design for the new house
on Providence Road was reportedly provided by George King, Mrs. Gilmer's
brother, and it appears that it was first occupied in late 1913 or early
1914. 7 The Great Depression of the 1930s followed not too long
after T. T. Gilmer's death in 1928, and the house was converted into a
duplex during that period. 8 In 1936, Mrs. Gilmer bought two lots
on the newly developed Fenton Place, just around the corner, and moved the
house there in 1938, which allowed commercial development of the Providence
Road homesite. 9 At her death in 1970 at the age of ninety-seven,
Mrs. Gilmer lived with a granddaughter, and in 1974 ownership of the Fenton
Place property passed from the Gilmer family to the present owner, Eastern
Federal Corporation, operators of the Manor Theater. 10
The Gilmer house is distinctively representative of early suburban
development in Charlotte. The time and place of its construction, the style,
and its association with a leading merchant family of the city combine to
make it historically noteworthy.
1 Thomas Hanchett, "Charlotte Neighborhood Survey," Charlotte
Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission, 1983.
2 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 290, p.151,26 March 1912;
Ibid., Book 291, p.262, 15 April 1912.
3 Charlotte City Directory.1911, p.205,1912, p.212.
4 Charlotte Observer. February 29,1928, p.1;
Charlotte News. February 29,1928, p.1.
5 Charlotte Observer. January 11,1970, p.22A; see also
6 See note 1; Charlotte City Directories.1897- 1914.
7 Information supplied by Thomas Hanchett, Charlotte
Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission; Charlotte City Directory.1913,
p. 190 and 1914, p.237.
8 Hanchett, note 7.
10 See note 5; Mecklenburg County Will, File 70-E-52;
Mecklenburg County Deed Book 3658, p. 307,6 February 1974; Ibid., Book 3705,
p. 713, 29 August 1974.
Edited by Dr. Dan L. Morrill
April 2, 1986
Constructed in 1911-12 for Thomas T. Gilmer, the house, now situated at
512-514 Fenton Place but until 1938 fronting on Providence Road, is rendered
Colonial Revival style. It is of frame construction, two and one-half
stories high, five bays wide, and is sheathed in weatherboards.
Six over Six sash is the primary glazing format, although a number of
eight/eight sash are also evident. Openings are set in plain surrounds; a
molding surmounts each lintel. The foundation is constructed of manufactured
brick arranged in a stretcher bond; rectangular shaped eight-pane
casements are randomly placed along its elevations.
The two and one-half story main block is symmetrically composed and rises
to a gable roof. Plain cornerboards rise from a weatherboarded water table
to an entablature composed of a molded architrave and cornice and a plain
frieze. On the front elevation, a large, one-story, screened porch runs
across the house and shelters the randomly-arranged fenestration.
Doric columns support an entablature highlighted by a denticulated
cornice. The main entrance is centrally placed; a fanlight is centered above
a six panel door. Sidelights, set above a recessed molded panel, border the
front entrance. A tripartite grouping of double hung sash, covered by
louvered shutters, is placed to the west (left) of the entrance. To the
immediate east (right) of the front entrance, paired French doors with
louvered shutters frame a brick fireplace, which fronts onto the porch. An
interior chimney with an exposed face rises above the roofline and
terminates in a corbeled cap. Three eyebrow windows also project from the
A Palladian window, centrally place in each end gable, highlights the
side elevations. The six/six sash is framed by six-pane
transoms and surmounted by
fanlights which rise to
keystones. The four-bay west elevation is symmetrically composed.
Fenestration on the three-bay east side is rhythmically placed. An enclosed
porch, two bays wide and one bay deep, is located near the rear of the east
Fenestration on the rear elevation is randomly arranged. Centered on the
rear is a one-story enclosed entrance porch. Wooden piers which rise to
molded capitals frame the structure. It is believed that this entrance and a
two-story shed porch, which runs across the western one-fourth of the
elevation, are original. Both appear on the 1929 Sanborn Insurance Atlas
Map. The first story of the two-story porch is screened; the upper floor may
have originally been screened, but is presently weatherboarded and
punctuated by a series of jalousy windows. A screened porch connecting the
one and the two-story porch is a later addition and serves to form a
continuous enclosure along the west half of the elevation. A tripartite
grouping of six/six sash is located above the entrance porch; remaining
openings display single six/six lights.
In addition to the front elevation chimney, the house contains two other
interior chimneys. Near the west elevation, an interior chimney rises along
the ridge line. The chimney is constructed of brick arranged in stretcher
bond; the corbeled cap has partially deteriorated. A chimney placed along
the east side of the rear elevation is similarly constructed; its stack
rises sharply above the roofline to a corbeled cap.
An architectural description of the interior of the T. T. Gilmer House
was impossible, because the owner would not permit access to the interior.