PROVIDENCE WOMEN'S CLUB, COMMUNITY HOUSE
This report was written on 19 December 1994
1. Name and location of the property: The property known as the
Providence Women's Club, Community House is located on Community House Road
in the Lower Providence township of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
2. Name, address, and telephone number of the present owner of the
property: The owner of the property is:
Providence Women's Club
10025 Dickie Ross Road
Charlotte, North Carolina 28277-2106
3. Representative photographs of the property: This report
contains representative photographs of the property.
4. Maps depicting the location of the property: This report
contains maps which depict the location of the property.
5. Current deed book references to the property: The Providence
Women's Club, Community House is sited on Tax Parcels 229-021-09 and
229-021-10 and is listed in Mecklenburg County Deed Book 5674 at page 254.
6. A brief historical sketch of the property: This report contains
a brief historical sketch of the property prepared by Frances P. Alexander.
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This report
contains a brief architectural description of the property prepared by
Frances P. Alexander.
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets criteria
for designation set forth in N.C.G.S. 160A-400.5:
a. Special significance in terms of history, architecture, and
cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property known as
the Providence Women's Club, Community House does possess special
significance in terms of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. The Commission
bases its judgement on the following considerations: 1) the Providence
Women's Club, Community House was built in 1939 as a clubhouse for the
Lower Providence Home Demonstration Club; 2) Community House is one of the
few home demonstration club meeting places remaining in the county; 3) the
Providence Women's Club, Community House is one of the few historic
institutional buildings extant in Lower Providence, an area which in the
past 20 years has become largely suburban; and 4) Community House is one
of the only buildings associated with the once rural composition of the
Lower Providence community.
b. Integrity of design, setting, workmanship, materials, feeling,
and association: The Commission contends that the architectural
description by Frances P. Alexander included in this report demonstrates
that the Providence Women's Club, Community House property meets this
9. Ad Valorem Tax Appraisal: The Commission is aware that
designation would allow the owner to apply for an automatic deferral of 50%
of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any portion of the property which becomes
a designated historic landmark. However, the Providence Women's Club,
Community House property is already tax-exempt. The current appraised value
of the improvements to the Providence Women's Club, Community House is
$14,380.00. The current appraised value of the Providence Women's Club,
Community House, Tax Parcel Number 229-021-09, is $750.00. The current
appraised value of the Providence Women's Club, Community House, Tax Parcel
Number 229-021-10, is $15,000.00. The total appraised value of the
Providence Women's Club, Community House is $30,130.00. Tax Parcels
229-021-09 and 229-021-10 are zoned R-3.
Date of preparation of this report: 19 December 1994
Prepared by: Frances P. Alexander, M.A.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission
P.O. Box 35434
Charlotte, North Carolina 28235
The Providence Women's Club, Community House is located in the Lower
Providence community of southern Mecklenburg County. The clubhouse is sited
on a triangular lot formed by the junction of Dickie Ross and Community
House roads. Just to the north is Providence Road West, a connector between
Providence Road and U.S. 521, the Charlotte to Lancaster highway. The
Providence Women's Club, Community House occupies two tax parcels which have
a combined area of .968 acres. Facing north towards the junction of the two
roads, the log clubhouse is set among a stand of oak trees. A wide, gravel
drive with parking links the two roads in front of the clubhouse. The two
lots contain only the clubhouse and a modern, concrete block pumphouse.
The Providence Women's Club, Community House is a one story, log
structure with a stone foundation and a front
gable roof. The clubhouse has a rectangular plan although there is a
rear ell and one small addition at the rear. The gable-end facade contains
three bays with a central entrance. The doorway is covered by a single-bay
front gable porch supported by log poles. The over-sized door is constructed
of vertical boards and has its original hardware. Two six-over-six light,
double hung, wooden
sash windows hank the entrance and are found on the side elevations. The
log walls are
saddle-notched, and the roof is covered in replacement asphalt shingles.
A massive stone chimney is located on the west elevation.
The rear ell appears to be contemporary with the main block of the
building. The log ell also has a stone foundation and gable-end roof. A
single door is found on the east elevation of the rear ell, and there are
two windows. The rear door is also constructed of vertical boards with
interior cross bracing to give a rustic appearance. The south elevation has
a long, horizontal, divided light window, and the west has a six-over-six
light, double hung, wooden sash window. At the juncture of the ell and main
block is an addition. The addition has a flat roof and is covered in shake
shingles. There are no windows in this modern addition.
The interior of the main block is comprised of an open meeting room. The
room has exposed log walls and exposed rafters with cross beams. The floors
are hardwood. Along the west wall is a massive stone fireplace mantel. On
the south side of the meeting room are two doors leading to the kitchen in
the rear ell and to a bathroom in the later addition. The kitchen also has
the exposed log walls, hardwood floors, and exposed rafters. The kitchen has
an exterior doorway on the east side. There are kitchen fixtures along the
south walk above which is a brick chimney flue. The bathroom has a six
panelled door, linoleum floors, and sheet rock walls.
Designed in the rustic style, made popular by federal relief projects
during the 1930s, the Providence Women's Club, Community House retains its
architectural integrity. The log walls, heavy, simple doors, and massive
stone chimney all illustrate the influence that the W.P.A. construction
projects had on community construction during this period. The building is
essentially unchanged since its construction. The small bathroom addition to
the rear does not represent a significant alteration to the original design
and floor plan.
Frances P. Alexander
Community House was built in 1939 by the Providence Women's Club as the
meeting place for their home demonstration club. These clubs emerged by the
turn of the century as associations of farm women who met to share practical
knowledge as well as to socialize. Home demonstration clubs were formed
throughout Mecklenburg County during the early twentieth century, and by
1919, there were a sufficient number to form a county-wide federation of
home demonstration clubs. The Mecklenburg Federation of Home Demonstration
Clubs was organized with 13 members and was in operation at least until the
1950s (Blythe and Brockmann 1961, 361-362).
The Providence Women's Club (also later known as the Extension Homemakers
Club) began informally when the women of this once rural community entered
the Mecklenburg County Fair in 1934. The booths they sponsored, one for the
community and one for the club, both won first prizes. With the proceeds
from their prizes, the clubwomen began a building fund, and in the following
years sponsored booths in the county fair. Because club membership was
growing quickly, and most homes were too small to accommodate all the
participants, the club decided to build a central meeting house. The funds
for building Community House were raised from these fair earnings (Hall
Local men supported the efforts of the club. Local residents, William
Patterson, Zebulon Rea, and James Ardrey, served as trustees of the club and
executed the deed. W.M. and Sarah Ross sold the Providence Women's Club a
small portion of their farm for the building site. The deed, dated March
1937, set the price for the land at $ 1.00. The land was bordered by Ross
parcels and the S.E. Kerr and J.G. Earnhart farms. The conveyance stated
that the tract was donated, "...for the purpose of authorizing and
permitting Mrs. J.A. Blakeney, Mrs. Henry Niven, and Mrs. M.P. Hoover, Mrs.
Kate Hawfield, and Miss Edna E. Ross and their associates, successors, and
assigns, to build and construct upon the above-described lot of land a
community club house and perpetually maintain therein a social, charitable,
and/or benevolent association for the promotion and upbuilding of the
welfare of the persons living in the said community..." (Deed 26 March
1937). The land donation came with certain restrictions. Construction of the
clubhouse had to begin on or before January 1, 1938, and the building had to
be completed with six months. Alcohol was prohibited as was profane
language. Orderly conducted was required within a one mile radius of the
clubhouse. If these conditions were violated, the land was to revert to the
Other farmers donated logs or actually worked on construction. One
farmer, who was also a carpenter, oversaw construction and performed most of
the more skilled carpentry tasks. By the time construction was complete in
1939, the building was debt-free. Since construction, all maintenance has
been performed by local families. Electricity was available to Lower
Providence by 1937, and the club house has always had electric lighting.
The club originally drew its membership from outside Lower Providence
with a high proportion coming from Upper Providence. Although owned and used
primarily by the Providence Women's Club, the community house has also
served wider civic functions. Public meetings, speakers, films, wartime
activities, and Boy Scouts meetings have been all been held in the
clubhouse. Maintenance funds for the building have been raised through craft
and bakery sales.
Originally, the clubhouse faced Robinson Store Road, the main road
through the Lower Providence community. The road was paved in 1940, after
the clubwomen invited the county commissioners to a dinner at the newly
opened community house. The secondary route which skirted along the
clubhouse to the east was later paved and named Community House Road. With
changes in store ownership, the main road was renamed Providence Road West
because this east-west route spans the six miles from Providence Road to the
Lancaster Highway (Hall 1977).
The Lower Providence community is located in the southernmost portion of
the county, bordered by Union County to the east and Lancaster and York
counties to the south and west. The community is defined by major roads,
Providence Road to the east, the Lancaster Highway to the west, and Route 51
to the north. Located just north of Community House, the east-west
Providence Road West bisects Lower Providence. Lower Providence was settled
early in the history of Mecklenburg County by Scotch-Irish farmers who
migrated in the mid-eighteenth century from Pennsylvania. This community,
like many of the other historic rural communities of the county, was
centered around a Presbyterian church.
Providence Presbyterian Church, established in 1767, was one of the
original seven Presbyterian churches established in the county (Blythe and
Brockmann 1961, 194- 195). The stability of the community is reflected in
the names of the clubwomen and the trustees. However, this once rural area
of the county had undergone rapid suburbanization in the past 20 years, and
Providence Presbyterian Church and the Community House are two of the few
historic institutions to survive.
Blythe, LeGette and Charles Brockmann. Hornet's Nest: The Story of
Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. Charlotte: McNally of Charlotte, 1961.
Hall, Elizabeth S. "Log Cabin Serves As Community Clubhouse," Fort
Mill Times, 17 November 1977.
Interview with Janie Ardrey. 15 May 1994.
W.M. and Sarah Ross to William Patterson, Zebulon Rea, and James Ardrey,
Trustees for the Providence Woman's Club.
Mecklenburg County Deed. Book 920, page 103. 15 May 1937.