THE SCOTT-HOKE HOUSE
This report was written on July 3, 1978
1. Name and location of the property: The property known as
the Scott-Hoke House is located at 1717 Cleveland Ave. in Charlotte, NC.
2. Name, address, and telephone number of the present owner and
occupant of the property:
The present owner and occupant of the property is:
Mrs. Erma R. Hoke
1717 Cleveland Ave.
Charlotte, NC 28203
Telephone: (704) 332-4066
3. Representative photographs of the property: This report
contains representative photographs of the property.
4. A map depicting the location of the property: This report
contains a map depicting the location of the property.
5. Current Deed Book Reference to the property: The most
recent reference to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County
Estate Record #75-E-1614. The Tax Parcel Number of the property is
6. A brief historical sketch of the property:
On September 18, 1900, The Charlotte Daily Observer reported
that Mr. C. M. Scott (1858-1930) would build a "two-story, nine room
dwelling house on Cleveland Ave.,
streetcar suburb which Edward Dilworth Latta and his five associates
in the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company, or Four C's had
opened almost a decade earlier, on May 20, 1891.2 "The roof
will be of slate and the appointments up-to-date," the newspaper
A native of Ceres in Bland County, VA., Mr. Scott had recently
located in Charlotte to continue his occupation as a salesman of heavy
machinery.4 No doubt attracted by the vigorous expansion and
robust economy of this region, he established his business in a building
on W. Fourth Street, where he managed the southern branch of the Good
Roads Machinery Co. and was local agent for the Ingersoll-Sergeant Drill
Co. 5 His home in Dilworth was completed in May 1901.6
Accompanying Mr. Scott to Charlotte were his wife, Idris Belle Repass
Scott (1863-1934), and their four children, three sons, and a daughter.7
Mr. Scott and his family made substantial contributions to the social,
religious and commercial life of their new home town. They were members
of Westminster Presbyterian Church on South Boulevard, where Mr. Scott
was a deacon and Mrs. Scott a leader of the women of the congregation.8
The most noteworthy of the children was Byron Carlisle Scott
(1896-1937). He became an important figure in the automobile business,
first as an associate of Mr. C. C. Coddington and later as founder and
president of Scott Buick Co.9 Another son, Kenneth McCoy
Scott (1899-1918), was labeled by the local press "one of the most
popular young men of the Dilworth section." One can imagine the anguish
which his parents must have experienced when Kenneth died in the Spanish
influenza epidemic of 1918. They rushed to Chapel Hill to be at his
bedside when he expired.10 Their third son, Wallace Wayne
Scott, died in Charlotte on August 24, 1956. He had been employed by the
Westinghouse Corporation for forty-four years.11
Jessie Repass Scott (1888-1946), the daughter of C.M. and Idris
Scott, married Kemp Plummer Battle, manager of the Charlotte Country
Club. He died in Red Springs, NC, on December 26, 1922.12
Following the death of her husband, Jessie returned to the house on
Cleveland Ave. in Dilworth, residing there until her death on February
8, 1946.13 During the final years of her occupancy, she
rented rooms in her deceased parent's home to a series of boarders.14
On May 4. 1946, Dr. Roy E. Hoke, a native of York, PA, purchased
the house which Mr. and Mrs. C.M. Scott had erected in 1900-01. Dr. Hoke,
an ordained Presbyterian minister, received a Ph.D. in psychology from
Johns Hopkins University, taught at several academic institutions,
including Birmingham Southern College, Emory and Henry College, and
Davidson College, and after moving to Charlotte in 1946, founded the
Psychological Service Center, a private counseling enterprise. He
maintained an office in his home at 1717 Cleveland Ave. His activities
included a column which appeared in the Charlotte Observer each
Sunday from 1946 through 1959 and a weekly program on Radio Station WBT
during the 1950's. In addition, he served as a minister-at-large for the
local Presbyterian churches, substituting for ministers who were on
vacation or otherwise unavailable. He is remembered as a kind and
compassionate human being who never lost his sense of humor. A member of
Phi Beta Kappa, he once remarked that "most Phi Beta Kapps die of
pneumonia caused by holding the coat apart to show the key." Dr. Hoke
died on November 3, 1975.15 His widow, Erma R. Hoke,
continues to live in the house.
1 The Charlotte Daily Observer (September 8, 1900)
2 The Charlotte Democrat (May 22, 1891) p. 3.
The Charlotte News (May 20, 1891) p. 1. The Daily State Chronicle
(May 22, 1891) p. 1. The Morning Star (May 22, 1891) p. 1.
3 The Charlotte Daily Observer (September 8, 1900)
4 The Charlotte Observer (April 3, 1930) Sec. 1.,
5 Charlotte City Directory 1903, p. 281, p. 419. Charlotte
City Directory 1904-1905.
6 Mecklenburg County Deed Book 87, p. 160. Mecklenburg
County Deed Book 154, p. 108.
7 The Charlotte Observer (November 8, 1934) Sec.
2., p. 1.
8 The Charlotte News (November 8, 1934) p. 16.
The Charlotte Observer (April 3, 1930) Sec. 1., p. 6. The
Charlotte Observer (November 8, 1934) Sec. 2, p. 1.
9 The Charlotte News (April 15, 1937) p. 3. The
Charlotte Observer (April 15, 1937) Sec. 2., p. 1.
10 The Charlotte News (October 18, 1918) p. 2.
The Charlotte Observer (October 18, 1918) p. 14.
11 The Charlotte News (August 25, 1956) p. 8A.
12 The Charlotte News (December 27, 1922) p. 6.
13 The Charlotte News (February 9, 1946) p. 6A.
14 C. M; Scott died on April 2, 1930. Idris Belle Repass
Scott died on November 7, 1934.
15 The Charlotte News (November 4, 1975), p.5B.
The Charlotte Observer (November 5, 1975), p.12A.
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This
report contains an architectural description prepared by Ms. Ruth
Little-Stokes, architectural historian
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets the
criteria set forth in N.C.G.S. 160A-399.4:
a. Historical and cultural significance: The historical and
cultural significance of the property known as the Scott-Hoke House
rests upon three factors. First, it is among the last houses of the
Queen Anne style of architecture to be erected in Charlotte. Second,
it is one of the oldest residences surviving in Dilworth, Charlotte's
initial streetcar suburb. Third, it has associative ties with
individuals of local prominence.
b. Suitability for preservation and restoration: The
structure and grounds are in an excellent state of repair. On balance,
the house is well-preserved. Sufficient documentation exists to permit
the restoration of the exterior of the structure.
c. Educational value: The Scott-Hoke House has educational
value because of the historical and cultural significance of the
d. Cost of acquisition, restoration, maintenance or repair:
At present, the Commission has no intention of securing the fee simple
or any lesser included interest in this property. The Commission
presently assumes that all costs associated with restoring and
maintaining the property will be paid by the owner or subsequent owner
of the property.
e. Possibilities for adaptive or alternative use of the
property: The Scott-Hoke House is currently zoned for general
business purposes (B1). However, the Commission believes that the
structure is best suited for residential use.
f. Appraised value: The current tax appraisal of the
improvements on the property is $16,520. The tax appraisal of the .218
acres of land is $9,500. The most recent annual tax bill on the
property was $288.31. The Commission presently is aware that
designation would allow the owner to apply for a deferral of 50% of
the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any portion of the property which
becomes "historic property."
g. The administrative and financial responsibility of any person
or organization willing to underwrite all or a portion of such costs:
As stated earlier, the Commission presently the fee simple or any
lesser included interest in this property. Furthermore, the Commission
presently assumes that all costs associated with the property will be
paid by the present or subsequent owners of the property.
9. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets the
criteria established for inclusion in the National Register of Historic
Places: The Commission judges that the property known as the Scott-Hoke
House does meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic
Places. Basic to the Commission's judgement is its knowledge that the
National Register of Historic Places, established by the National
Historic Preservation Act of 1966, represents the decision of those of
local, regional and state significance. The Commission believes that its
investigation of the property known as the Scott-Hoke House demonstrates
that the property possesses local historical and cultural importance.
Consequently, the Commission judges that the property known as the
Scott-Hoke House does not meet the criteria of the National Register of
10. Documentation of why and in what ways the property is of
historical importance to Charlotte and Mecklenburg County for three
reasons: First, it is among the last houses of the Queen Anne style
of architecture to be erected in Charlotte. Second, it is one of the
oldest residences surviving in Dilworth, Charlotte's initial streetcar
suburb. Third, it has associative ties with individuals of local
An Inventory of Buildings in Mecklenburg County and Charlotte for
the Historic Properties Commission.
Charlotte City Directory 1903.
Charlotte City Directory 1904-5.
Estate Records of Mecklenburg County.
Records of the Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office.
Records of the Mecklenburg County Tax Office.
Charlotte Daily Observer.
The Charlotte Democrat.
The Charlotte News.
The Charlotte Observer.
The Daily State Chronicle.
The Mornings Star.
Date of Preparation of this Report: July 3, 1978
Prepared by: Dr. Dan L. Morrill, Director
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission
139 Middleton Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28207
Telephone: (704) 332~2726
The Scott-Hoke House, 1717 Cleveland Avenue, Charlotte, is one of the
finest of the few remaining early houses constructed in Dilworth,
Charlotte's first suburb. The modest
Queen Anne design of the house is typical of the first building
phase in the neighborhood, which lasted from its establishment in 1890
to the turn of the century when the various classical revival styles
became popular. The extremely well-preserved Scott-Hoke House and its
lovely landscaped grounds are an invaluable remnant of early Dilworth
and a major neighborhood landmark. The two and one-half story frame
house has the vertical emphasis typical of the High Victorian era, and
its basically square five bay wide, four bay deep shape is complicated
by a front two-story gabled projection with a bay window on the first
story, a one-story wrap-around front porch with a balcony above the
entrance bay, a south side two-story bay window, a turreted cupola just
beneath the peak of the main hip roof, and a rear two-story wing with a
one-story porch along the south flank. The structure has a solid brick
foundation with an original basement, narrow German siding, and a steep
hip roof, covered with alternating
rectangular and fish scale shingles, with molded box eaves and two
interior brick chimneys. The main entrance, located in the north side of
the main (west) elevation, is a single door, the lower half paneled with
a dentil molding, the upper half containing a single large glass pane.
The door is set within a fluted surround with a dentil cornice. The
windows on both the first and second stories are one-over-one
sash with plain surrounds and molded caps. Many of them retain
original louvered shutters.
Ornament is concentrated at the roofline. Centered on the front face
of the roof is a polygonal cupola with three single pane
casement windows. A fish scale slate turret with thick metal ribs
and a metal cap which originally supported a finial, surmounts the
cupola. The finial, which probably functioned as a lightning rod, has
been removed. The front, sides, and rear cross-gables are weatherboarded
like the walls, and have single, double or triple casement windows. The
front cross-gable was originally particularly striking but the ornate
sawnwork bargeboard set inside the gable has been removed. The south
side cross-gable is most interesting, for the triangular overhangs
formed by the juncture of the splayed bay and the pedimented cross-gable
is outlined by curvilinear brackets. The front porch, with slender
turned columns and a turned balustrade, extends across the front
elevation and wraps around the south side to a sunroof, enclosed by
continuous one-over-one sash and entered from the porch through an
apparently original glazed and paneled door. Above the entrance bay of
the porch is a one-bay wide balcony with a solid flat-paneled
balustrade, finished with rounded corners and beaded flush sheathing.
Latticework brackets with small finials form arched friezes in each
balcony bay. A single door and window open onto the balcony. The rear
one-story porch has identical columns and a plain balustrade.
The bays above the balustrade were originally infilled by latticework
which has been removed. The porch originally wrapped one bay around the
rear of the wing to the basement stair. The stair with its turned
balustrade and batten basement door is still intact, but the bay is now
enclosed. The small front and large rear yards are planted with a large
variety of bushes and flowers, and are carefully maintained. The front
yard has a curved concrete retaining wall of the type built throughout
early Dilworth in the early twentieth century. An antique pecan tree
shadows the back porch. The interior is arranged in an interesting
variation of the center hall plan; the off-center front entrance opens
into an entrance hall, which elbows back to become a narrower center
hall connecting with the back porch on the south side of the kitchen
wing, The main parlor is located beside the entrance hall, the dining
room and a second sitting room (perhaps a library or den), are behind
these rooms on each side of the hall. Behind the dining room is a large
kitchen, without the butler's pantry between kitchen and dining room
which became a standard feature around the turn of the century. Behind
the second sitting room, adjacent to the back porch, is a small room
said to have been Mr. Scott's office. It could not be entered from
adjacent rooms, the rear door being the only access, The second story
has a nearly identical arrangement of rooms, containing four bedrooms, a
small "sewing room" at the front of the hall opening onto the balcony,
and an apparently original bathroom directly above the rear office. The
well-preserved interior finish is primarily of classical design. The
floors are wide pine boards, the walls and ceilings are plaster, the
doors have five raised panels of typical late Victorian design, the door
and window surrounds are symmetrically molded with roundel corner
blocks, and the halls and dining room have vertical, beaded sheathed
wainscots with molded chair rails. Almost all of the rooms retain the
narrow molded plaster picture cornices. The
stair rises in three flights with two landings against the outside
and rear wall of the entrance hall.
The striking design consists of a closed molded string, turned
balusters, a molded
handrail, and massive paneled classical
newels with rope moldings outlining the panels, applied sunburst
patterns, and fluted urns. The urns have indentations in the center tops
which indicate that they may once have been lamp bases. Several early
Dilworth houses retain newel post lamps. The main focus of the parlor is
the mantel, with slender free-standing
Ionic columns supporting a molded shelf. The original over-mantel
has been removed. The very unusual hearth and fireplace surround
tilework are one of the most unique features of the house. The fireplace
surround is covered with yellow flowers on a white background, and the
hearth tile has a border of scalloped sea shells, a rarity in Dilworth
where plain or varicolored tiles without figural design are typical. The
dining room contains a similar classical mantel, also missing its
original overmantel, and beside the mantel is a built-in china closet
with glass doors double-hinged to conserve space. The rear parlor mantel
has been removed. The second floor mantels are less classical, more
medieval in design, which is typical of non-public areas of houses where
the most up-to-date design was considered unnecessary. Beneath the
kitchen and rear parlor is an original basement, with brick walls, an
apparently original built-in storage cabinet, and a coal chute.