Thomas Alexander House
This report was written on November 19, 1997
1. Name and location of the property: The property known as the
Thomas Alexander House is located at 2051 Sharon Lane in Charlotte, North
2. Name, address and telephone number of the present owner of the
property: The present owner of the property is:
2051 Sharon Lane
Charlotte, NC 28211
3. Representative photographs of the property: This report
contains representative black and white photographs of the property. Color
slides are available at the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks
4. Maps depicting the location of the property: This report
contains two maps depicting the location of the property.
5. Current deed book reference to the property: The most recent
deed to this property is recorded in Mecklenburg County Deed Book 7630 on
page 806. The tax parcel number of the property is # 183-022-24.
6. A brief historical sketch of the property: This report contains
a brief historical sketch of the property.
7. A brief architectural description of the property: This report
contains a brief architectural description of the property.
8. Documentation of why and in what ways the property meets criteria
for designation set forth in N. C. G. S. 160A-400.5:
a. Special significance in terms of its history, architecture,
and/or cultural importance: The Commission judges that the property
known as the Thomas Alexander House does possess special significance in
terms of Charlotte-Mecklenburg. The Commission bases its judgment on the
1) The Thomas Alexander house was built for an extended family that had
roots in the community and an ancestral tie to the early history of
Mecklenburg County. The Alexanders were a prominent family whose members
were highly regarded among their friends and neighbors.
2) The Thomas Alexander House was once the seat of a fairly large farm
and is an excellent, intact example of a turn of the century farmhouse.
The design represents the marriage of two different architectural
eras--blending the form and features of the familiar
Queen Anne Victorian model with Classical elements in the latest
3) The Thomas Alexander House was miles away from Charlotte when it was
built. The city limits overtook the property in 1960, and now extend for
miles beyond. Though now surrounded by residential development on all
sides, the Thomas Alexander House still retains the feeling and
association of a rural farmhouse. Such places are becoming increasingly
rare in Charlotte-Mecklenburg, and serve as valuable reminders that life
was very different ninety-five years ago.
b. Integrity of design, setting, workmanship, materials, feeling
and/or association: The Commission contends that the physical and
architectural description which is included in this report demonstrates
that the Thomas Alexander House meets this criteria.
9. Ad Valorem tax appraisal: The Commission is aware that
designation would allow the owner to apply for an automatic deferral of 50%
of the Ad Valorem taxes on all or any portion of the property which becomes
a designated "historic landmark." The current total appraised value of the
improvements is $ 135,450. The current total appraised value of the lot is $
90,000. The current total value is $ 225,450. The property is zoned R-3.
10. Portion of propery reccommended for designation: Only the
exterior of the Thomas Alexander House and its lot are currently
reccommended for historic designation.
Date of preparation of this report: November 19, 1997
Prepared by: Mary Beth Gatza
428 N. Laurel Avenue, #7
Charlotte, NC 28204
(704) 331 9660
Copyright 1997 by Mary Beth Gatza
The story of the Thomas Alexander House, named for original owner Thomas
Morgan Alexander (1855-1914), begins with the story of his family. Thomas's
great-great-grandfather, Hezekiah Alexander (1722-1801), arrived in
Mecklenburg County in 1766 with his wife and the first five of their ten
children. Hezekiah Alexander is best known as a colonial landowner and
signer of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. In 1774, he built a
fine rock house which stands today as one of Charlotte's most enduring
landmarks. Hezekiah had a son, Silas Alexander, who had a son, Telemarcus
Alexander, who in turn had a son James Wallace Alexander.
James Wallace Alexander Family
James Wallace Alexander (b. 1824) married Margaret Louise Reid
(1829-1906) on December 17, 1850. They are listed in the 1860 census with
their two children, Martha Jane "Mattie" Alexander (1853- 1932) and Thomas
Morgan Alexander (1855-1914). James Wallace Alexander's demise apparently
occurred sometime in the next decade, as he does not appear in the 1870
census, and there are no later records of him in Mecklenburg County. A J. W.
Alexander from Mecklenburg County enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1862
and died in 1863. This was very probably our James Wallace.
In 1873, sometime after the disappearance of her husband, Margaret Louise
Reid Alexander purchased 186 3/4 acres in Sharon township for $1259.43. The
land had been owned by her late father, William Reid (1798-1864), and was
transferred to her by her brother, Hugh Kirkpatrick Reid (1840-1921) and his
wife Eliza. This became her homeplace tract.
Margaret L. Alexander raised her two children on her own. Both Mattie and
Tom married in the 1880s. Mattie wed Charles Taylor Brown (1854-1897) in
1881 when they were both 26 years of age. There were no children born to
this union. Charles Taylor Brown died in 1897 of Bright's disease (a liver
disorder). His obituary noted that he "had charge of" Mr. H. K. Reid's place
near Sharon church at the time he died. H. K. Reid was Mattie's uncle (her
mother's brother). After her husband's death, Mattie lived with her mother
and her brother and his family. In her later years, she resided with her
niece Annie Lee Alexander Choate at the Choate home in the Steele Creek
section of Mecklenburg County. Mattie died in 1932 at age 79 and is buried
in the churchyard at Sharon Presbyterian Church next to her husband.
Death claimed Margaret L. Alexander on February 8, 1906. At the time of
her death, she was said to have been "one of the oldest residents of Sharon
Township." Her obituary further noted that "she had lived most of her life
in Sharon Township and was known and loved for her many excellent
Thomas Alexander Family
Margaret L. Alexander's son, Thomas Morgan Alexander (1855-1914), married
Antionette "Nettie" Watson White (1858-1916), who was from Cabarrus County,
on December 3, 1885. Together they had six children, four of whom lived to
maturity. Their children were: Annie Lee (1886-1970), Hugh White
(1888-1889), Lida Reid (1890-1964), Martha Louise (1892-1966), William
Wallace (1895-1896) and Thomas Neely (b. 1896). All of their children were
born in the decade between 1886 and 1896. Thomas' mother and sister also
lived with this family. At the turn of the century, their household
consisted of four adults and four children. It is not known what type of
house they lived in, but whether it be due to size or for some other reason,
it was replaced in favor of a new, two-story farmhouse built in the latest
style. That house, the subject of this report, was built in 1903.
Music was featured in the Alexander home. The family often gathered for
group sessions of what they called "chamber music." Thomas played the
violin, and was occasionally accompanied by others. All three girls were
taught to play piano at an early age. Thomas Neely, the youngest child and
only surviving son, would assist by working the foot pedals on an old pump
Education was also valued by the Thomas Alexander family. All three
daughters went to Queens Chicora College in Charlotte (now Queens College).
Thomas and Nettie Alexander's first child, daughter Annie Lee Alexander,
was born on September 25, 1886. "Normal" and "ordinary" is the way she
perceived her life on the family farm. She attended Queens Chicora College.
On January 30, 1915, at age 29, she married Clarence Brevard Choate (d.
1960). Together they settled in Steele Creek, the section of Mecklenburg
County where his family lived. By 1920, their household included Annie Lee's
aunt (Mattie J. Brown) and Annie Lee's brother (Thomas Neely Alexander) in
addition to their first two children. In all, Clarence and Annie Lee Choate
had three girls and three boys: Thomas William (1916-1991), Nanette (b.
1917), Faye Louise (b. 1920), Clarence Brevard (1922-1925), Annie Reid (b.
1924) and Campbell White (b. 1929). In later years, Annie Lee opened her
home to her sister, Louise, who resided there at the time of her death in
1966. Annie Lee Alexander Choate passed away herself on September 19, 1970.
Lida Reid Alexander, Thomas and Nettie Alexander's second daughter, was
born on July 29, 1890. After graduating from Queens Chicora College, she
went to Franklin, NC, to teach as a missionary for the Presbyterian church.
It was there that she met Fred Moore Slagle, whom she then married. They
were wed in her parents home, the Thomas Alexander House, on December 22,
1916. The wedding announcement stated that "Miss Alexander is a young woman
of attractive personality and many accomplishments..." The couple made their
home in Macon County, NC, and had four children together. Lida Reid
Alexander Slagle died on May 17, 1964.
The third and youngest daughter of Thomas and Nettie Alexander was Martha
Louise Alexander, who was born on November 20, 1892. She, like her sisters
before her, played the piano and attended Queens Chicora College. As an
adult, Louise, as she was called, lived in an apartment on East Seventh
Street in Charlotte's Elizabeth neighborhood. She attended Caldwell Memorial
Presbyterian Church and taught Sunday School there for a time. Louise
enjoyed a long tenure as a supervisor for the county welfare department, and
lived on her own in Elizabeth through the early 1960s. At some point, she
moved in with her sister, Annie Lee Alexander Choate in Steele Creek. Martha
Louise Alexander died of a heart attack on July 18, 1966, at age 73.
Three boys were born to Thomas and Nettie Alexander, though only one
survived to majority. The youngest of their six children, Thomas Neely
Alexander, was born on November 17, 1896. Less is known about him than is
known about his sisters. He was single and living in Mecklenburg County as
late as 1922, living for a time with his sister Annie Lee and her husband
Clarence Choate. After that, no further record of him could be found in
Thomas and Nettie Alexander opened their doors to others. After Nettie's
brother, Walter Pharr White (1860-1909) died in 1909, his four children were
left orphaned; their mother, Margaret Harris White (1861-1897) had
predeceased her husband by twelve years. Their two girls, Nina Frances White
(1891- 1956) and Martha Phylena White (1895-1933) were raised by various
relatives, and stayed at least for a time in the Thomas Alexander House with
their aunt Nettie and her family. Martha, or Mattie as she was called, is
known to have lived there in 1910.
Thomas Morgan Alexander died before seeing any of his children married or
settled into their careers. When he passed away on November 22, 1914, his
daughters ranged in age from twenty-two to twenty-eight, and his son was
only eighteen years old. His obituary noted that he was "one of the best
known citizens of the county," and also that he was "widely connected in the
county." He was described as "an upright and honorable citizen" who "was
esteemed by a wide circle of friends, who regarded him highly for his
genial, affable disposition and for his integrity." The obituary gives the
following account of his passing:
"...his death being rather sudden. He was in Charlotte yesterday and
seemed in his usual health. Last night, however, he complained of feeling
unwell about 9 o'clock, but his condition was not thought by his family to
be serious. Members of his family consulted over the telephone with a
physician as to relief. He did not improve and died suddenly at 4 o'clock
Thomas's wife, Nettie Alexander, was also highly regarded in the
community. Her obituary, published the day after she died on May 26, 1916,
described her as "one of the most prominent women of the Sharon
neighborhood" and "a woman of great beauty of character." She did not die
suddenly, as her husband did. The newspaper explained that "for some weeks
her condition had been deemed critical" after an extended illness. Nettie
lies beside her husband in Sharon Presbyterian Church cemetery.
At the time of Nettie Alexander's death, her two younger children, Louise
and Thomas N., lived at home with her in the Thomas Alexander House that she
and her husband had erected more than a decade earlier. The four children
retained ownership of the property. They may have continued to keep up the
family farm, as together they took out a loan, using the land as collateral,
in May of 1920. By that time, the two older daughters had married and
established households of their own elsewhere. Apparently, none of the
children chose to, or were able to, perpetuate the family farm. The four
children sold the property in 1922.
The Thomas Alexander House and 120 3/4 acres were sold to Odom Alexander
in 1922. No relation was found between Odom Alexander and the Thomas
Alexander family. If there was a kinship, it would have been a distant one.
Odom Alexander was in the real estate business. His office was downtown, and
he made his residence on Central Avenue. There is no evidence to suggest
that he ever resided in the Thomas Alexander House. Odom Alexander held the
property for only two years before selling the house and 90 acres to Frank
R. McNinch in 1924.
Frank R. McNinch
Frank R. McNinch (1873-1950) is remembered locally as an attorney and
former mayor of Charlotte. The native Charlottean was elected mayor in 1917,
re-elected in 1919, and served until 1921. During this time, he also
functioned as the Commissioner for Finance and Administration. His
illustrious career was not limited, however, to the local level. He was
active and accomplished in national politics. Some of the positions he held
are as follows:
1905- ? North Carolina House of Representatives
1921- ? National Recreation Association regional representative
1930-1933 member, Federal Power Commission
1933-1937 chairman, Federal Power Commission
1937-1939 chairman, Federal Communications Commission
1939-1946 special assistant to U.S. Attorney General
McNinch bought the Thomas Alexander House in 1924, and held on to it for
several years before selling to another politician, Cameron Morrison, in
1932. Whether or not McNinch ever resided in the house is unknown; he built
Colonial Revival-style house (the Frank R. McNinch House, a designated
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmark) at #2401Sharon Lane in 1925. Frank
R. McNinch retired in 1946 and spent the remainder of his years in
Washington D.C. It was there that he died in 1950. His body was returned to
Charlotte and lies interred in Elmwood cemetery.
The Morrocroft Years
Twenty acres, including the Thomas Alexander House, was sold by McNinch
to fellow lawyer and politico Cameron Morrison (1869-1953). Native to North
Carolina but not to Mecklenburg, Morrison moved his law practice from
Richmond County to Charlotte in 1905. Sixteen years later, he was elected
Governor of North Carolina, a post he held for four years, from 1921 to
1925. Two of Governor Morrison's outstanding achievements while in office
were the funding of a comprehensive road-building program and his campaign
to improve school buildings statewide. Morrison went on to serve both as a
U.S. Senator (from 1930 to 1932) and as a Congressman (from 1942 to 1944).
After his second term as Governor, Morrison returned to Mecklenburg with
his second wife, Sara E. Morrison and his daughter (from his first marriage)
Angelia Morrison. Here he amassed about 3,000 acres of land in the Sharon
section of the county, which he named "Morrocroft."
The seat of his estate was a Tudor Revival-style mansion designed by Harrie
Thomas Lindeberg and built in 1927 (now a designated Charlotte-Mecklenburg
Historic Landmark). Morrocroft was an experimental farm--it was Morrison's
intention that it serve as a model to encourage others throughout the state
to engage in scientific farming techniques. Morrocroft was known for its
cattle, sheep, swine and poultry, and employed many local residents during
the tough economic times of the 1930s.
A top employee at Morrocroft was the foreman. Living quarters were
provided for the foreman in the Thomas Alexander House, which was purchased
by Morrison in 1932. As Sharon Lane was beyond the corporate limits of
Charlotte at the time (it was not annexed until 1960), city directory
coverage is spotty during the 1930s and 1940s. Two men were known to have
been foremen at Morrocroft and to have lived in the Thomas Alexander
House--William S. Stewart in the early 1940s and A. Ray Morrow in the 1950s.
William Stanley Stewart (1882-1957) had roots in the community. He had
ancestors and relatives who were buried in the churchyard at Sharon
Presbyterian. He himself was a member of that church. Stewart held the post
of foreman of Morrocroft for a time, at least during the 1940s, and later
worked as a night watchman. In all, he was employed there for about
twenty-five years. He died of cardiovascular disease in 1957 at the age of
A. Ray Morrow held the title of superintendent for Morrocroft from 1943
to 1960, and also lived in the Thomas Alexander House. He returned to the
house in June of 1995 and shared reminiscences with Charlotte historian and
author Mary Kratt. He apparently stayed on to manage the farm after Mr. and
Mrs. Morrison were deceased. Sara Morrison died in 1950, devising all her
interest in the property to her husband. Cameron Morrison passed away three
years later in 1953, leaving his estate to his daughter, Angelia and her
husband James J. Harris. James J. and Angelia M. Harris gave the house and
its lot to the trustees of Covenant Presbyterian Church in July of 1964. The
church added some restrictive covenants to the deed and sold the property
two weeks later.
Patrick Noble Calhoun (1911-1976) made his first residence in Charlotte
at the Thomas Alexander House. Calhoun was a native of Atlanta who rose up
through the ranks in the banking industry to become executive vice-president
of North Carolina National Bank. When he achieved that post in 1960, he
moved to Charlotte and lived in the Thomas Alexander House for four years.
Calhoun was active in civic affairs, and served on the Charlotte City
Council for a brief time in 1971-72. He retired in 1974 and died in 1976 of
leukemia. At the time of his death, then-mayor John Belk said of Patrick
Calhoun: he "was always a gentleman and always willing to help everyone with
anything that would come up. And he always did more than his share and
Dr. Forrest B. Long (1922-1987) and his wife, Gloria H. Long (1943-1994)
purchased the Thomas Alexander House and lot from the trustees of Covenant
Presbyterian Church in 1964. Dr. Long was a veterinarian and proprietor of
Long's Animal Hospital in Charlotte.
William E. Wilkinson, Jr. and his wife Alice J. Wilkinson were the next
owners of the Thomas Alexander House. They purchased it in 1967 from the
Longs. William Wilkinson was a vice-president at Carolina Transfer and
Storage. The Wilkinsons purchased the adjacent lot at the corner of Pelham
and Sharon Lanes, thereby creating a bigger parcel around the house. They
resided in the house until 1972, and sold it in 1973 to Carlos and Sarah O.
Weil. The Weils kept the place for only three years before selling in 1976
to Harriet R. Bobbitt.
Mrs. Bobbitt, then a recent widow, moved from a more rural location to
the Thomas Alexander House in 1976. There she raised her children and
commuted to the store she owned and operated in the Cotswold shopping
center. She stayed in the house until her children were grown, selling it in
1987 to Elrod Construction Company. Elrod Construction Company split off the
lot at the corner of Pelham and Sharon Lanes, built a duplex on that site,
and sold the Thomas Alexander House and lot to Larry R. and Elizabeth R.
Best. The Bests conveyed the property in 1990 to the current owner, Robin H.
The Thomas Alexander House is a large, turn-of-the-century farmhouse
built by a prominent family who had roots in the community and an ancestral
tie to Mecklenburg County history. It likely replaced another, older, house
as the seat of a fairly large family farm. A new generation of Alexanders in
the 1890s probably induced the family to construct new quarters, as it was
built to accommodate four adults and four children.
In the early 1920s, when the elders had passed and the children had gone
their separate ways, the house and land were sold on the open market. For
three decades, during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, the property was a part of
a huge (3,000 acre) experimental farm, called "Morrocroft," owned by former
North Carolina Governor Cameron Morrison. The Thomas Alexander House served
as the residence for the Morrocroft foreman--undoubtedly a prestigious
address. Other illustrious figures associated with the property included
former Charlotte mayor Frank R. McNinch (in the 1920s) and North Carolina
National Bank executive vice-president Patrick N. Calhoun (in the 1960s).
Built in 1903, the Thomas Alexander House was once the seat of a fairly
large family farm in rural Mecklenburg County. It was built for Thomas
Morgan Alexander, a descendent of colonial planter Hezekiah Alexander, to
house his extended family of four children and four adults. Thomas Alexander
chose a popular vernacular Victorian form and adorned it with an admixture
of Queen Anne Victorian and Classical details. In this way, this house
represents a marriage of two different architectural eras--blending the
forms and features of the past with elements of the latest style.
When new, the Thomas Alexander House was surrounded by 186 3/4 acres of
land on a rural country lane. At that time, the small city of Charlotte was
approximately four long miles to the north. As population increased and
transportation improved, urban Charlotte pushed farther and farther outward,
eventually swallowing up this and countless other rural homeplaces. The
first wave of development around this place started in 1936 when neighboring
landowner, C. P. Alexander (no relation), plotted a dozen house lots along
the south side of Sharon Lane between the Thomas Alexander House and
Providence Road. Sharon Lane was annexed by the city of Charlotte in 1960,
and today the city limits are again miles away, but in the other direction.
Though the Thomas Alexander House is now surrounded by housing development
on all sides, it still retains the feeling and association of a rural
wood frame, the Thomas Alexander House stands two stories tall, and has
a basically rectangular footprint. It has a
side-gabled roof with a front-facing
cross-gable over the left (northeast) side of the building. Though the
three-bay facade features even fenestration and a center entrance, it is
asymmetrical--the left (northeast) bay extends out beyond the plane of the
front elevation. The northeast bay is actually a projecting wing, but its
corners are clipped, giving it the effect of an oversized bay window. An
original wrap-around porch shades most of the front (northwest) and side
(northeast) elevations. The footprint of the porch follows the clipped
corners of the projecting front wing. The porch itself consists of a
hipped roof supported by
Tuscan columns that are linked together by a plain wood balustrade.
Underneath the porch, the walls are sheathed with bevelled-edge drop board
siding. The remainder of the house is covered with plain weatherboard.
Full-height chamfered cornerboards finish the junctures at the corners of
Gable end detailing gives this house its character. The front-facing
cross gable is supported over the clipped corners of the projecting wing by
pairs of graceful scroll brackets. The gable itself is sheathed with
fishscale shingles, pierced by a round window, and trimmed with an
Bullseye cornerblocks and baseblocks punctuate the fluted front door
surround. The window surrounds are plain, each adorned with only a single
piece of trim across the top. Windows are the original two-over-two
double-hung sash. A dentilled cornice surrounds the entire structure,
including the one-story rear ell.
The one-story rear ell is original. It stands on the east corner of the
house and has always held the kitchen. When first built, the Thomas
Alexander House has a one-story porch across the two left (southwest) bays
of the rear elevation. The porch was enlarged and enclosed at some point in
the mid twentieth century. This, a new roof, and the brick foundation
underpinning are the only alterations to the exterior of the house.
There are two chimneys on the house. One is an interior chimney, which
rises up through the cross-gable of the roof. The other stands on the
exterior of the side (southwest) elevation and is laid up in common bond
brick and has stepped shoulders and a corbelled base.
Only the exterior of the Thomas Alexander House is being considered for
designation at this time. Therefore, the interior will not be described
Victorian elements of the Thomas Alexander House include the form and
massing, the wrap- around porch, the front door surround, two-over-two sash
windows, and the gable end trim. The dentilled cornice and Tuscan porch
columns are Classical details. The two modes are combined in this house to
create a hybrid style that bridged the gap between the two very different
eras of architectural decoration.
The integrity of the Thomas Alexander House is excellent. Virtually no
original material has been removed. The only additions have been the rear
porch enclosure and brick foundation underpinning. It is rare to find any
structure of this age with all of its original details intact.
Howard O. White, Mecklenburg: The Life and Times of a Proud People
(Brentwood, TN: JM Productions, 1992), p. 45, p. 50.
Mecklenburg County Marriage Bonds, 1762-1868; U.S. Census, North
Carolina, Mecklenburg County, 1860, page 40; U.S. Census, North Carolina,
Mecklenburg County, 1870, page 27; Moore's Roster of North Carolina
Troops in the War Between the States, v. 3 p. 505.
Mecklenburg County Deed Book 57, page 383; White, Mecklenburg, pp.
Mecklenburg County Marriage Bonds, 1762-1868; The Mecklenburg Times,
8 April 1897, p. 5; U.S. Census, North Carolina, Mecklenburg County, 1900,
page 42; U.S. Census, North Carolina, Mecklenburg County, 1910, page 10A;
U.S. Census, North Carolina, Mecklenburg County, 1920, page 10; North
Carolina Standard Certificate of Death # 605805; The Charlotte News,
31 December 1932, p. 8.
The Charlotte News, 9 February 1906, p. 5.
White, Mecklenburg, p. 50, pp. 363-65.
U.S. Census, North Carolina, Mecklenburg County, 1900, page 42;
White, Mecklenburg, pp. 50-1, 130-31.
White, Mecklenburg, p. 51.
White, Mecklenburg, p. 50, p. 130, p. 363; U.S. Census, North Carolina,
Mecklenburg County, 1920, page 10; Charlotte-Mecklenburg Health Department,
Death Certificate # 1444; The Charlotte Observer, 19 July 1966, p.
7B; Charlotte-Mecklenburg Health Department, Death Certificate # 2131;
The Charlotte News, 19 September 1970, p. 4B.
White, Mecklenburg, pp. 364-65;
The Charlotte News, 22 December 1916, p. 2.
White, Mecklenburg, pp. 50-1, p. 131, p. 365; Hall's Charlotte City
Directory, various years; Charlotte-Mecklenburg Health Department, Death
Certificate # 1444; The Charlotte Observer, 19 July 1966, p. 7B.
White, Mecklenburg, p. 365; U.S. Census, North Carolina, Mecklenburg
County, 1920, p. 10; Mecklenburg County Deed Book 481, p. 116.
White, Mecklenburg, pp. 53, p. 57; U.S. Census, North Carolina,
Mecklenburg County, 1910, p. 10.
The Charlotte News, 25 November 1914, p. 2.
The Charlotte News, 27 May 1916, p. 12.
Headstone, Sharon Presbyterian Church, Charlotte, NC, section J5.
The Charlotte News, 27 May 1916, p. 12;
Mecklenburg County Deed Book 64, page 433; Mecklenburg County Deed Book
481, page 116.
Mecklenburg County Deed Book 481, page 116; Hall's Charlotte City
Directory, various years; "Telephone Directory of Charlotte and Davidson,
NC" 1922, p. 13; Mecklenburg County Deed Book 562, page 64.
The Charlotte News, 21 April 1950, p. 1-A; The Charlotte
Observer, 21 April 1950, p. 1-A; The Charlotte Observer, 22 April
1950, p. 1-A; Hall's Charlotte City Directory, various years; Elmwood
cemetery, burial cards (on microfilm).
The Charlotte Observer, 28 February 1950. Dan Morrill, Survey and
Research Report on Morrocroft (Charlotte: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic
Properties Commission, 1979). White, Mecklenburg, pp. 248-257.
The Charlotte Observer, 28 February 1950. Dan Morrill, Survey and
Research Report on Morrocroft (Charlotte: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic
Properties Commission, 1979). White, Mecklenburg, pp. 248-257.
White, Mecklenburg, pp. 182-85, p. 403; Charlotte-Mecklenburg Health
Department, Death Certificate #871; The Charlotte News, 18 June 1957,
Hall's Charlotte City Directory, various years; Mecklenburg County Will
Book 7, page 552; Mecklenburg County Will Book 10, page 568; Mecklenburg
County Deed Book 2562, page 445; Mecklenburg County Deed Book 2577, page
Hall's Charlotte City Directory, various years; The Charlotte Observer,
18 April 1976, p. 1-B; The Charlotte News, 19 April 1976, p. 7A;
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Health Department, Death Certificate #1010.
Mecklenburg County Deed Book 2577, page 205; Hall's Charlotte City
Directory, various years; The Charlotte Observer, 27 July 1987, p.
8-A; Charlotte-Mecklenburg Health Department, Death Certificate #2496;
Social Security Death index, 1937-1996.
Mecklenburg County Deed Book 2927, p. 268; Hall's Charlotte City
Directory, various years; Mecklenburg County Deed Book 3591, p. 367;
Mecklenburg County Deed Book 3860, p. 423.
Telephone interview with Harriet Bobbitt, Charlotte, N. C., 29 September
1997; Mecklenburg County Deed Book 5523, p. 244; Mecklenburg County Deed
Book 5612, p. 12. Mecklenburg County Deed Book 6224, p. 15; Mecklenburg
County Deed Book 7630, p. 806.