Whitman-Douglas Company, ca.
301 East 8th Street
UTM 17 514875E 3898394N
This brick building is a rare and intact example
of the once common commercial/warehouse buildings that were built along the
rail lines in the uptown area. Buildings such as this were found to the west
and primarily to the east of the rail line in both First and Second Ward,
and were used to warehouse paper, paints, all manner of dry goods and
supplies, and groceries. The building appears to have retained a
good level of integrity with much of its original fenestration intact.
The building also dramatically demonstrates the historic reliance businesses
had on the railroad. Tax records indicate that the building was constructed
in 1910, however 1911 Sanborn maps of the city do not show the building.