Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

Ivey's Department Store.  UTM:  17 514340E 3898113N   Joseph Benjamin Ivey, the son of a Methodist  minister, came to Charlotte at the turn of the last century to take advantage of the booming local cotton economy.  His first store opened in rented space on February 18, 1900.  This large store building opened for business at North Tryon and Fifth Sts. in 1924.  All the other large department stores of that era in Center City Charlotte -- Belks and Efirds -- have moved to the suburbs or no longer exist.  Consequently, the Ivey's Department Store, designed by William Peeps, is the only structure that documents the crucial role of department stores in the emergence of Center City Charlotte as a major retail district in the early 20th century.  The building has recently been converted into condominiums and has lost its interior integrity.

 

 

 

J. B. Ivey

This is the Iveys Store as it originally appeared.

 
   

Click here for historical essay.

Click here for architectural essay.