Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

Carolina School Supply Company.  UTM:  17 512881E 3898133N In 1927, Morehead Street was extended westward to connect Center City Charlotte with Wilkinson Boulevard.  The fact that the tracks of the Piedmont and Northern Railroad served the area contributed mightily to the decision to lengthen the street. Predictably, the West Morehead St. corridor became an ideal location for distribution warehouses.  The Carolina School Supply Company, a distributor of school supplies to school systems throughout the region, occupied this building in 1927.  The company sold a broad array of school supplies, including furniture, filing cabinets, paper supplies, etc.  Like most of Charlotte's early twentieth century warehouse, it is a brick building with restrained but traditional decoration.

 

This 1927 photograph shows the Carolina School Supply Building in the upper center.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click here for historical essay.

Click here for architectural essay.