Church. UTM: 17
514192E 3898219N The first church was
established on this site in 1815 as a community church. The
Presbyterians purchased the property in 1845. The oldest section
of the present building dates from 1857. The majority of the
structure was erected in the mid-1890s. Some of Charlotte's most
prominent citizens have been members of First Presbyterian Church,
including Confederate General Daniel Harvey Hill and Mary Anna Morrison
Jackson, the second wife of Confederate General Stonewall Jackson.
Despite its Victorian overtones, the building is essentially Gothic
Revival, with its pointed arches, battlements, spires, and pinnacles.