Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

Montaldo's.  UTM:  17 514457E 3898128N The Montaldo's Building was constructed in two phases.  The northern or original section rose sometime between 1926 and 1934.  The southern or later portion appeared in the 1950s.  Architect Louis Asbury designed the original portion, and his son, Louis Asbury, Jr., was architect for the later addition. Montaldo's was an upscale clothing store for women.  It illustrates the role of Tryon St. as a major location of street level shops in the middle years of the twentieth century.  Stylistically, the building harkens to Classical Greece and Rome.  The arched entryway to the northern section and the statuary atop the southern section bear dramatic witness to this truth.

 
   
   

Click here for historical essay.

Click here for architectural essay.