Bridge Over Piedmont and Northern Railroad Tracks. UTM: 17
513390E 3898102N Construction of the
Piedmont and Northern Railroad line between Charlotte and Gastonia began
in April 1911. The P&N Passenger Station was located on Fourth
Street, and the Freight Depot stood on South Mint Street. Both
buildings have been demolished. In order for the P&N to gain access to Center City
Charlotte, a bridge carrying the Southern Railroad over the P&N tracks
had to be built. Happily, that remnant of P&N history survives.
Riveted steel girders support a concrete slab beneath the Southern
tracks. On April 3, 1912, the P. & N. began service
on the Charlotte - Mt. Holly run with eight trains each way daily, which
took about 35 minutes one way. Tickets were available from Blake's Drug
Store on the Square or the Mint Street depot for 20 cents per one-way.