Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

Queen City Foundry.  UTM:  17 513249E 3898425N

The two buildings at the Queen City Foundry are the only South Cedar Street buildings not constructed from brick.  The foundry began operations at this location in 1928 and remained here until at least 1985. Although the current complex dates from after 1946, likely around 1950, the buildings represent the continued importance of industry to Charlotte’s economy.  The larger building, the foundry, has a double monitor roof, metal frame windows, and is clad in metal.  The interior features the exposed metal structure.  The smaller building is a simple, gable-roof building sheathed in metal. By the late 1990s, the buildings had been rehabilitated to house offices for various professionals, including architects and interior designers.

           

 

 

 

 
   
   

Click here for historical essay.

Click here for architectural description