Applications Videos

Historic Properties

Properties For Sale

About the Commission

Browse By Topic

Local History

Links

Home

St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church.  UTM:  17 513974E 3897716N St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church was established in 1851 mainly to serve the Irish who were laboring in gold mines in and around Charlotte.  The current Gothic Revival style church was erected in 1878 and is the second oldest church building in Center City Charlotte.  The fanciful Victorian Eastlake style rectory next door was finished in 1897.  In 1987, Father John Haughey secured the services of artist Ben Long to fashion a religious fresco on the front wall of the sanctuary.  The fresco suffered extensive damage in 2002.

 

 
   
   

Click here for historical essay.

Click here for architectural essay.