Union Storage and
Warehouse Company. UTM: 17
512872E 3898158N In 1927, Morehead Street
was extended westward to connect Center City Charlotte with Wilkinson
Boulevard. The fact that the tracks of the Piedmont and Northern
Railroad served the area contributed mightily to the decision to
lengthen the street. Predictably, the West Morehead St. corridor became
an ideal location for distribution warehouses. The Union Storage
and Warehouse Company was constructed in 1927. Lockwood Green and
Co. designed the building. The essential form is traditional.
Quoting Sarah A. Woodard and Sherry Joines Wyatt: The facade
of the building is six bays wide with the two corner bays projecting
slightly to create a corner tower effect. The top of each “tower” has a
stepped parapet and decorative cast concrete panel with garlands. The
entry in one of the towers has a classical cast concrete surround with
heavy cornice supported by small consoles.