African American Resources
United Presbyterian Church MK 2348
Synopsis of Significance: Outside of Charlotte’s urban core, most of
Mecklenburg County’s African American Churches were either replaced or
radically remodeled in the second-half of the twentieth century. The 1944
Grier Heights United Presbyterian Church retains a good degree of integrity,
despite the addition of a frame construction portico in the 1960’s.
This large, one-story brick building was constructed using a variant of
Flemish and American bonds, with three courses of stretchers between courses
of alternating headers and stretchers. All of the headers are glazed. The
church was built on sloping ground with access to a basement level in the
rear. Basement windows have stone lintels and are covered with metal
security screens. Separating the basement level is a water table
constructed of concrete blocks.
The principal section of the church is hipped-roofed, and is three-bays deep
with brick pilasters separating the bays. The central bays on the north and
south elevations contain two arch topped windows. The round-arched openings
with lunettes feature keystones and brick sills. The windows are composed
of an arched divided-light transom over six-over-six double-hungs. The other
two bays on each elevation contain a single arch topped window.
A prominent three-bay wide and one-bay deep front-gabled narthex faces the
road. This section features a parapet capped with concrete, and decorative
yellow brickwork around the openings. Small four-over-four windows with
arch transoms flank a replacement door set in and arched opening.
Four-over-four arch topped windows are also located in the one-bay deep
north and south elevations of the front section. A yellow brick cross is
visible above a large portico, supported by square post, which is not
original to the building.
A hipped one-room deep wing is attached to the rear of the church. It also
contains the smaller four-over-four arch topped windows. A hipped-roof
education building from the 1960’s is attached to the church with a hyphen.