in May of 1949 by L.M. Oglukian, the owner of a nearby Oriental rug store,
Carmel Park exemplifies naturalistic subdivision design. The neighborhood
has curving streets, a “loop” road, areas of dense woodland, and five
ponds. Completing the theme,
the lots in Carmel Park are quite large, ranging from 1 1/3
to 1 2/3 acres. Deed restrictions played an
important role in shaping the neighborhood during its development. The
following items were required of new owners: the lot would be owned and
occupied only by whites; it would be used only for residential purposes;
only one residence of at least 1500 square feet (for one-story, 800 sq.ft.
lower level space for two-story); such residence would cost at least
$15,000; and the residence would be constructed at least 100 feet away
from the street.
there is a relatively even mix of Colonial Revival; Ranch, Not Modernist;
and houses classified as “other.” When compared with the other nine
subdivisions surveyed, Carmel Park had the third highest concentration of
Modernist houses of all types (8.3%) and the lowest concentrations of
Colonial Revival Ranch (6.35%) and split-levels of all types (0%).
note that all of the following owners were found in the 1970 City
Directory, the first suburban directory that was published, and may not
reflect the original ownership except in the case of the Taylor-Shapiro
House where a more thorough report was available.
James B. Patterson House
lower two-thirds of the exterior walls of this hip roof ranch house are
clad in Roman brick. The original sheathing of the upper one-third has
been replaced by vinyl siding. Details include deep eaves, ribbon windows,
an interior chimney and sidelights at the entry.
James L. Montag House
in front of a small pond, this gable roof ranch house has prow-like
projections at its gable ends. The house is sheathed in vertical wood
siding. Other features include a glassed entry area and front patio on a
and Lucy Taylor purchased the lot in 1952 and built the house soon
thereafter. They owned the property until 1965 when it was sold to Walter
and Sylvia Shapiro. Walter Shapiro was a merger consultant. The house is
well sited on a hilltop overlooking
one of the five ponds in Carmel Park. The flat roof is multi-level and has
very deep eaves. Other features include casement windows, fieldstone
accent walls and chimney, vertical wood siding, flush siding between
window bays. The footprint of the building is U-shaped enclosing a front
terrace facing the pond.
H.M. Venable, Jr. House
upper level of this large, two-story house overhangs the lower level
slightly. The front facade is dominated by a large windows with horizontal
lights and a decorative, open-pattern brick screen. The upper level of the
house is wood siding while the lower level is brick. The house also has
ribbon windows and attached garage.