In 1897 Dr. Paul Barringer founded the Davidson School of Medicine at Davidson College, at that time the only medical school for whites in North Carolina. In 1907 the institution moved to Charlotte, with its many hospitals, and was renamed the North Carolina Medical College. Each day between 11:00AM and noon, individuals could come here for free medical services. Soon after instruction commenced in the Charlotte facility, however, an evaluation report by the Carnegie Foundation criticized the college for having inadequate facilities. It closed in 1914.
THINGS TO LOOK FOR
Having trouble identifying brick patterns, shingle patterns, or other parts? See the Illustrated Guidebook for help!
When you look at the building from the outside, think about what used to be in there. The basement contained the showers and the cadaver vats. The entrance on Sixth St. provided access to the drug room, separate waiting rooms for black and white patients and several examination and treatment rooms. Each day between 11:00AM and noon, individuals could come here for free medical services. On the second floor were three 20 x 40 foot laboratories, a large lecture hall, a library, and reading room. The uppermost floor housed two laboratories and a dissecting hall with a concrete floor.
Sketch a window from the building. Include the keystone above the window. Label the keystone.
Some windows have a transom (small window above the regular window). Sketch one of these windows and label the transom.
Sketch the pediments above the windows and the front door. Notice the geometric shapes used to make the pediments.