Click on the map to browse
by Dr. Thomas W. Hanchett
Biddleville is Charlotte's oldest surviving black neighborhood. At its
heart is Johnson C. Smith University, opened shortly after the Civil War as
Biddle Institute to train black preachers and teachers. Biddleville began in
1871 as a village next to the college, distinctly separate from Charlotte,
two miles from the center of the city. 1
Around the turn of the century the city grew out to meet the village. The
suburbs of Western Heights and Roslyn Heights were built, followed by the
Smallwood Homes and Crestview subdivisions after World War II. The whole
area today is called Biddleville-Five Points, taking its name from the
original village and from the intersection of West Trade, West Fifth Street,
Rozelles Ferry Road, and Beatties Ford Road adjacent to the JCSU campus near
the center of the neighborhood.
The institution now known as Johnson C. Smith University had its formal
beginning April 7, 1867. 2 Its founders were two young white
Presbyterian ministers, Rev. S. C. Alexander and Rev. W. L. Miller, who
believed there was a need to train leaders for the newly freed black
population. 3 The idea of a college for "preachers and teachers"
was looked upon by some as quite a radical notion. Many, including famous
black educator Booker T. Washington years later, felt that blacks should
first be trained in farming and manual labor. But Miller and Alexander and
some of their fellow Presbyterians were adamant about the need for an
educated black leadership.
First classes were held in a Presbyterian church at Fourth and Davidson
(then simply "D" Street) in Charlotte's Second Ward. 4 A few
years later the institution purchased the old Confederate Navy Building on
East Trade Street, below where the Civic Center now stands. 5 The
old structure was disassembled and its materials loaded on wagons, bound for
a site in Second Ward, where prominent landowner Col. W. R. Myers donated a
new site. The new location was on a hilltop north of the town where two old
roads forked west toward Rozelles Ferry and Beatties Ford across the Catawba
River. The eight acre parcel, officially deeded to the school's trustees in
1873, formed the nucleus of the present seventy-five acre campus. 6
The first president of the institution was Rev. Stephen Mattoon. Like the
founders, he was a white Presbyterian minister. In 1871 he and his wife Mary
purchased from W. F. Davidson fifty-five acres of farmland across Beatties
Ford Road from the college, just south of the Wilmington, Charlotte and
Rutherford railroad track (now Seaboard Coast Line Railroad). 7
Over the next forty-five years, the Mattoons sold the land off in small lots
to blacks who wanted to settle near the college. This tract, which
apparently covered the present Mattoon and Cemetery streets as well as
portions of Campus Street and French Street, was the beginning of
The college was named the Henry J. Biddle Memorial Institute in honor of
Major Henry Johnston Biddle, a white Union soldier killed in action in the
Civil War. 8 Biddle's widow, Mrs. Mary D. Biddle of Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, gave considerable financial support to the institution in its
early years. In 1876 the institution was renamed Biddle University. 9
Early presidents and most of the faculty members were white. In 1891 a
black "teacher and preacher," Rev. Daniel J. Sanders, was named president of
the University, and subsequent presidents and most faculty have been black.
10 Perhaps the most outstanding of the black presidents was Henry
L. McCrorey who served from 1907 until 1947. 11 He began his
administration by raising money to match a grant from Andrew Carnegie to
Carnegie Library on campus. He also presided over the formerly all-male
school's switch to co-education in 1933, and he developed a large black
suburb off Beatties Ford Road along Oaklawn Avenue north of the campus,
today known to its residents as McCrorey Heights. 12
The Carnegie Library At JCSU
His greatest achievement came in the early 1920s when he interested a
second well-to-do Pittsburgh widow in the school's cause. Mrs. Jane Berry
Smith donated funds for eight new structures on the campus over the course
of the decade, and set up an endowment fund. In 1923, in the midst of this
major expansion, the college was renamed Johnson C. Smith University in
honor of her husband. 13 The following year the college became a
beneficiary of the James B. Duke Endowment. The fund, established by tobacco
and utility tycoon James Buchanan Duke, helps support Duke University,
Furman College, Davidson College, and JCSU, and has provided Johnson C.
Smith University with more than 10 million dollars over the decades. 14
Today's campus is a pleasant mix of recent buildings, most funded by the
Duke Endowment, 1920 structures donated by Mrs. Smith, and a handful of
buildings from the days of Biddle University. The centerpiece of the group
Biddle Hall, topped by a brick clocktower that is visible from much of
the city. The 1883 structure is Charlotte's finest remaining example of
Victorian institutional architecture. 15 It features complex
massing that may have been inspired by Jubilee Hall built a few years
earlier at the prestigious black Fisk University. Biddle Hall's exterior has
exuberant corbelled brickwork with brownstone trim, including brick crosses
worked into the chimneys of the old chapel/auditorium at the rear of the
Biddle Hall at JCSU
Behind Biddle Hall is
Carter Hall, erected in 1895. 16 Named for donor Mary Carter
of Geneva, New York, it was constructed by the students themselves. The
Victorian design has four massive corner turrets and a delicate central
cupola. Like Biddle Hall, it is listed in the National Register of Historic
Places. A third nineteenth century structure that survives on campus is the
Teachers' House, a two story frame dwelling of the type dubbed an "I" house
by folklorists. The building dates from the early days of Biddle Institute,
when lodging was included as part of a professor's salary. 17 The
structure is decorated in the Stick style with bracketed eaves and massive
bargeboards in the gables, the best example of the style in Charlotte today.
At least two early twentieth century structures are worthy of note. One
is the Carnegie Library designed by Charlotte architects L. L. Hunter and
Franklin Gordon and completed in 1912. It is a fine example of the Neo
Classical style, with delicate white terra cotta columns and modillion
cornices based on ancient Greek and Roman models. Charlotte once had two
Carnegie-funded libraries. The downtown building has been replaced by the
current main branch of the Charlotte Public Library, and the JCSU building,
currently used for offices, alone survives. The second noteworthy edifice is
gateway to the campus that was erected when the institution was renamed
in honor of Johnson C. Smith. The stone archway has been the symbol of the
University, along with the early Biddle Hall clocktower, since the 1920s.
Across Beatties Ford Road from the University is the original Biddleville
village. A Map of Charlotte Township drawn in the 1890s shows it as
one of half a dozen villages ringing the edge of the city. 18
These "ring villages" are a phenomenon not noted in urban histories of
northern cities. They deserve special study as a unique feature of southern
The ring villages shown on the 1890s map, the earliest to illustrate the
city's surroundings in detail, are Blandville along today's Bland Street off
South Tryon, Biddleville on Beatties Ford Road, Seversville on the west side
of West Trade Street in the area of the present Bruns Avenue Elementary
School (built in 1925 as Seversville School), Greenville and Irwinville west
of Statesville Road, and an unnamed string of lots off Providence Road that
would soon become the heart of Cherry. Except for Seversville, which had
grown up around a white-owned country store, all of these villages were
populated by blacks when the areas were first included in the city directory
in the twentieth century.
Biddleville was founded after the Civil War around its college, as we
have noted, and Cherry was developed as a "model Negro housing development"
in the 1890s by the white Myers family. 19 The genesis of the
other black communities is not known. They may have developed after the
Civil War from the slave quarters of old farms. This seems particularly
possible in the case of Irwinville, because it is known that the Irwin
family owned a large farm that extended to West Trade Street, including the
present site of Irwin School and Irwin Street. 20 It is also
possible that some of the villages grew from pre-war clusters of free blacks
and slaves who did not live on their masters' property. Historian Richard C.
Wade noted in his study Slavery in the Cities that "there were parts
of town with clusters of colored inhabitants. By the 'forties and 'fifties
it was apparent in most places that Negroes were settling on the periphery
of the cities" of the southeast. 21
Today it is difficult to visualize these early villages because, with the
exception of Biddleville and the comparatively recent
Cherry village, they have been demolished. Greenville and Irwinville
were bulldozed as part of the Greenville Urban Renewal project. Only a
handful of dwellings survive near Bland Street, which was part of the West
Morehead Urban Renewal area. More study is needed with U. S. Census data and
land ownership records to understand the history of Charlotte's ring
Though it is unique in its reason for founding, Biddleville is a good
place to get a picture of what the other ring villages may have been like.
The original Mattoon property apparently ran from the present Seaboard Coast
Line railroad track, which had been built in 1861, to French Street, along
the west side of Beatties Ford Road. 22 Early on this nucleus was
augmented by sales to blacks from other white landowners. By the 1890s the
village extended to the present West Trade Street. The Map of Charlotte
Township from that decade shows three rows of houses, the present
Solomon Street, Campus Street, and Beatties Ford Road.
It is interesting to note the linear arrangement of the dwellings, seen
also in the other ring villages on the map. There were no houses built on
cross streets, to form blocks, and there was no attempt to arrange the
buildings to create a central square, another popular type of village
design. The lines of houses are reminiscent of the rows of cabins seen in
slave quarters on some antebellum plantations. Perhaps the arrangement of
Biddleville was a survival of patterns learned in slavery days, or perhaps
it came from an earlier source. In any case it was different from the
around-the-block form favored by white Charlotte in the century.
The neighborhood has seen much change over the years, especially along
busy Beatties Ford Road, but its narrow lanes still have a village feel.
According to longtime resident Barzilla Thomas, in 1981 all buildings in the
village except for the recent JCSU dormitory on Beatties Ford Road predated
World War II. 23 Further research is needed to determine whether
any early cabins survive under later remodelings on Beatties Ford, Campus,
or Solomon streets.
The present study has identified three significant sites in the original
village. One is the old black cemetery at the west end of Cemetery Street.
It is in poor condition, recently cleared of years of overgrowth as part of
the creation of an adjacent city park. The oldest stone dates back to 1908,
though it is not unlikely that there were earlier burials. Of special
interest are two raised graves of more recent vintage, surmounted by unusual
Three blocks away at 529 Campus Street is the old
Mount Carmel Baptist Church. 24 It began in the 1870s in a
frame structure which probably gave Campus Street its original name, Church
Street. When the city annexed Biddleville the street was renamed Carmel
Street to avoid confusion with Church Street in downtown Charlotte. The
present church building dates from 1918, a period of black prosperity in the
city. The large brick Gothic style structure was built from a design by
Louis Asbury. The congregation has now moved to larger quarters outside the
neighborhood, and the street has been renamed Campus Street for the JCSU
dorms at its southern end. Residents still regard the old Mount Carmel
Church building as a symbolic center of the community.
South on Campus Street at the corner of Dixon Street (probably named for
early black property owner Amanda Dixon) is the
home of George E. Davis. Davis was the University's first black
professor, a Ph.D. graduate of Howard University who taught Natural Science
from 1886 through 1921 and served as Dean of Faculty for many years. 25
After his retirement he became an official with the North Carolina State
Education Department. George E. Davis Science Hall erected on the campus in
1922 was named for him. In 1928 he had an imposing two story brick house
built, still the largest in the whole Biddleville-Five Points neighborhood.
Over the years, Biddleville became known as a favored residential area
for the black elite, along with Brevard Street in Second Ward and the North
Myers-East Seventh street area in First Ward. Families who wanted to raise
their children in an intellectual atmosphere gathered around the University,
with its cultural offerings. Residents included not only college students,
professors, and alumni, but also public school teachers, including the
principals of Second Ward High School and First Ward's Alexander Street
Elementary. Small wood frame houses on tight lots line the narrow streets,
interspersed with occasional brick-faced cottages. A handful of more
substantial two-story houses are scattered at intersections. Today the areas
adjacent to the campus are remarkable for their residential stability, with
some homeowners living in the same houses they purchased in the early years
of the century.
Around the turn of the century, a new era dawned for Biddleville as the
city grew outward to include the old village. In 1897 the first "streetcar
suburb" was platted in the area. 26 It was a triangular piece of
farmland just south of the campus, previously owned by the Davidson family.
Its developer was W. S. Alexander, who was laying out Elizabeth on the other
side of town at the same time. The new area he called Western Heights was
bounded by West Trade, Martin and Frazier Streets. Once the subdivision was
established the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company extended its
trolley tracks out West Trade Street, commencing service April 25, 1903.
For several years Western Heights was a white area, just like the old
Seversville village across West Trade. Though the trolley served Biddleville
and its college as well as the white areas, the route was known as the
Seversville line. In the 1920s the Western Heights area shifted from white
to black, though some white residents remained. 28 The last of
these was grocer A. H. Frazier, a member of the family which owned the land
that became Summit Avenue and part of Frazier Street. Some current residents
remember him living in a house that still stood in early 1983 at 127 Frazier
When Western Heights opened to black residents, speculators quickly
crowded its vacant lots with small houses. Most of the present structures in
Western Heights date from the late 1910s or early 1920s. The most
interesting group is that which lines Summit Avenue. The structures include
a number of
"shotgun" houses, a long narrow dwelling once common in Charlotte's
black neighborhoods. As noted in the Architecture Section of this report,
the room arrangement of the shotgun, one room behind the other with no hall,
can be traced back to dwellings in Africa. 29 Despite its
frequent use in the twentieth century as cheap rental housing, the shotgun
has a proud Afro-American heritage. Narrow Summit Avenue, with its front
porches crowding the street, is today the best preserved reminder of what
most of the city's black neighborhoods looked like before Urban Renewal.
In the early 1920s another white suburb was built next to Biddleville.
This was Roslyn Heights, platted by the Roslyn Realty Company in 1923 and
1925. 30 Its small bungalows line Roslyn Avenue and the short
cross streets between West Trade Street and Rozelle's Ferry Road. This area,
like the old Seversville village, remained white until the 1960s when the
Urban Renewal destruction of Second Ward downtown created a massive shift in
Charlotte's black population.
Immediately after World War II a large development of small, wooden homes
was built on new streets straddling West Trade beyond Roslyn Heights.
31 It was called, with perhaps unintended ironic humor, Smallwood
Homes. Like Roslyn Heights it was occupied by white working class families
until the 1960s.
The area may be of some historic significance despite its recent vintage,
because it is believed to be the first project by Charles Ervin, who became
the largest homebuilder in the Southeast during much of the post-World War
II boom. Ervin, a part-time brick mason, was living near the present
intersection of Rozelle's Ferry Road and Boulevard Road not far from the
Smallwood site in 1947 when he built a house for himself (now gone). Before
the structure was completed, Ervin was offered a price he could not turn
down. Recognizing the strength of the postwar housing market, Ervin quickly
worked his way into the housebuilding field as a developer. He was a
millionaire at age thirty-one and by 1968 his company had built in the
Charlotte area alone 10,000 single family dwellings, 2,000 apartment units,
and about 2 million square feet of retail, office and warehouse space.
32 Ervin suburbs today ring the city, including Raintree, Tanglewood,
Idlewild, Derita Woods, Springfield, Montclaire, Starmount, Westchester and
more. 33 Among his later developments was another adjacent to
Biddleville. The Crestview subdivision platted in 1961 extended Mattoon
Street and opened Crestview Drive, with new brick ranch houses for black
Many of Ervin's suburbs were laid out by Charlotte civil engineer C. E.
Blankenship. The pair began their collaboration with the Smallwood street
plan. When the first map of Smallwood was filed at the Register of Deeds
office in 1947 there was no developer's name. An extension recorded in 1948
bears the name of Charles Ervin, indicating that these humble homes
represent one of Charles Ervin's very earliest large scale developments, and
probably his first. 35
1 Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office, deed book 7, p.
2 Arthur A. George, 100 Years, 1867-1967: Salient Factors
in the Growth and Development of Johnson C. Smith University (Charlotte:
J.C.S.U., 1968), p. 1.
3 Ibid. See also Inez Moore Parker, The Biddle-Johnson C.
Smith Story (Charlotte: Charlotte Publishing, 1975), pp. 3-5.
4 Dan L. Morrill, "Biddle
Memorial Hall: Survey and Research Report" (Charlotte: Charlotte
Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission, 1976). George, p. 2; Parker, p.
5. This area was known as "Logtown," the city's poorest section, soon to
become the black area known as Brooklyn.
5 George, p. 2; Parker, p. 5; Morrill, "Biddle Memorial Hall.
6 Ibid. Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office, deed book
9, p. 323.
7 Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office, deed book 7, p.
512. A sketch map of the parcel is in the Biddleville file of the Lawyers
Title Company, 301 South McDowell Street, Charlotte.
8 George, p. 2; Parker, p. 5; Morrill, "Biddle Memorial
9 George, p. 6; Parker, p. 6.
10 George, p. 11; Parker, pp. 11-12; Morrill, "Biddle Memorial
Hall. . .."
11 Parker, p. 15; George, p. 11.
12 Parker, pp. 16-17, 20, 22; George, pp. 15-21, 25-46. City
of Charlotte, Department of Engineering, "1:3000 Subdivision Map."
13 Parker, pp. 19-22; George,. p. 30.
14 Parker, p. 20, see also city directories in 1920s.
15 Morrill, "Biddle Memorial Hall. . .." Information on
specific buildings in this section was developed through the use of the city
directory collection and vertical files of the Carolina Room of the
Charlotte Public Library, supplemented by the books by Parker and George,
except as noted. Biddleville-Five Points has proved one of the most
difficult Charlotte neighborhoods to study, especially before 1930, because
street numbers changed frequently. Buildings for which the Historic
Properties Commission has completed Survey and Research Reports are
indicated by footnotes.
16 Dan L. Morrill, "Carter
Hall: Survey and Research Report" (Charlotte: Charlotte Mecklenburg
Historic Properties Commission, 1976).
17 Dan L. Morrill, "The Teachers' House at Johnson C. Smith
University" (Charlotte: Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Properties
18 Butler and Spratt, "Map of Charlotte Township..... 1892."
Copies are in the collection of the Historic Department of the Mint Museum,
Charlotte, and the City of Charlotte Historic Districts Commission.
19 Ibid. Earle Sumner Draper, interview with Earle Sumner
Draper, Jr., based on questions prepared by Thomas W. Hanchett, Vero Beach,
Florida, March, 1982. "W. S. Myers" vertical file in the Carolina Room of
the Charlotte Public Library.
20 F. W. Beers, C. E., "Map of Charlotte and Mecklenburg
County. . ..," 1877. Copies of this map are available from the City of
Charlotte Department of Engineering.
21 Richard C. Wade, Slavery in the Cities: the South
1820-1860 (New York: Oxford University Press, 1964), p. 275 .
22 LeGette Blythe and Charles Brockman, The Hornets' Nest:
the Story of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County (Charlotte: McNally of
Charlotte, 1961), pp. 261-62. John Gilbert and Grady Jefferys, Crossties
Through Carolina (Raleigh, N.C.: The Helios Press, 1969), p. 8. The line
was originally called the Wilmington, Charlotte and Rutherford Railroad and
connected Charlotte and Lincolntown.
23 Barzilla Thomas, interview with Thomas W. Hanchett,
Charlotte, N.C., July 1981.
24 William H. Huffman, "Old
Mount Carmel Baptist Church: Survey and Research Report" (Charlotte:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission, 1983).
25 Parker, pp. 8-9.
26 Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office, deed book 101,
27 Dan L. Morrill and Nancy Thomas, "Biddleville,"
in the New South Neighborhoods brochure series (Charlotte: Charlotte
Mecklenburg Historic Properties Commission, 1981).
28 City directories collection, Carolina Room of the Charlotte
29 John Michael Vlach, The Afro-American Tradition
(Cleveland: Cleveland Museum of Art, 1977), pp. 122-138. "The Afro-American
Tradition in Decorative Arts: Notes on the Exhibition" (Cleveland: Cleveland
Museum of Art, 1977), p. 16.
30 Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office, Map Book 3,
31 Ibid., Map Book 5, p. 287; Map Book 6, p. 17; Deed Book
1166, p. 329; Deed Book 2095, p. 545.
32 Charlotte Observer, March 10, 1968. See also
Charlotte Observer, April 14, 1957; May 1, 1960; August 24, 1962.
33 Mecklenburg County Register of Deeds Office, plat map
34 Ibid., Map Book 9, p. 403.
35 William S. Michaels, telephone interview with Thomas W.
Hanchett, November 1981. Michaels is Ervin's lawyer.
BIDDLEVILLE - FIVE POINTS:
Significant Structures and Sites
Designated in National Register of Historic Places
Biddle Hall, the main building at Johnson C. Smith University, is perhaps
Charlotte's finest example of Victorian institutional architecture. It is a
cluster of towers, bays and dormers embellished with carefully detailed
brickwork and brownstone trim. Chiseled in the cornerstone is the Latin
motto "Sit Lux" -- Let There Be Light. When Biddle Hall was built it served
as classroom facility, dining hall and chapel all in one. One can still see
the crosses worked into the brick chimneys on what was the rear chapel wing.
For a hundred years the soaring clocktower has dominated the western skyline
of the city.
Designated in the National Register of Historic Places
Students who complain about work-study jobs today should be glad they
were not going to school when Carter Hall was erected. This massive
Victorian style brick structure was built entirely by students of the
college. Note the four big turrets at the corners, and the delicate wooden
cupola in the center of the roof, all characteristic of Victorian
architecture. The building was named after its donor, Mary Carter of Geneva,
New York, one of a number of northern Presbyterians who helped fund the
college in its early days.
This small building with its columned portico is the city's earliest
surviving Neoclassical style institutional structure. Charlotte's
architectural firm of Hunter and Gordon based the design on the buildings of
ancient Greece and Rome. The portico has Doric columns of white-glazed terra
cotta, topped by a triangular pediment inspired by a Greek temple. A
delicate modillion cornice of terra cotta runs around the building. The
library was built in part with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie, the wealthy
founder of United States Steel who helped erect hundreds of such buildings
across the country. Charlotte once had three Carnegie Libraries. The two
downtown have been demolished and this building at Johnson C. Smith is the
only one to survive.
TEACHERS' HOUSE, 18??
This is one of the oldest buildings on the Johnson C. Smith campus. It
dates from the era when the college provided housing for professors as a
supplement to their meager salaries. The crossed "bargeboards" in the gables
are an example of the so-called "Stick style," a variation on Victorian
architecture that is especially rare in Charlotte. Note also the wooden
brackets under the eaves, another Victorian trademark. The house has been
moved more than once over the years, and its front porch has been enclosed.
Overall, the Teachers' House is in remarkably good condition, however, and
an important reminder of the college's early days.
This stone arch with its iron gates is the twentieth century symbol of
the University. In the 1920s, Mrs. Jane Berry Smith, a Pittsburgh
philanthropist, donated eight new buildings and an endowment fund to the
struggling Biddle University, more than tripling its size. The institution
was renamed Johnson C. Smith University in honor of her late husband. This
memorial gate commemorated the new name and provided a fine entrance to the
301 Campus Street
Dr. George Davis was the University's first black professor. He graduated
from Biddle University, as it was then known, in 1883 and went on to attain
a Ph.D. in medicine from prestigious Howard University. Davis returned to
Charlotte to teach Natural Science from 1886 through 1921, and was Dean of
Faculty for many years. His hiring signaled the beginning of a shift in the
college's staff from northern white teachers and administrators to southern
black ones. It was striking proof of how much the University had done in
just three decades to train black leaders.
After his retirement Davis served as an official with the North Carolina
State Education Department and built this house. It is one of many
professors' residences in Biddleville. A two story brick structure on a
prominent corner lot, the Dr. George E. Davis House is still the
neighborhood's most imposing residence in the 1980s.
529 Campus Street
Old Mount Carmel Baptist Church has long been a center of the Biddleville
community. For decades Campus Street was called Carmel Street, and back when
Biddleville was still a village separate from Charlotte it was named Church
Street. The brick Victorian Gothic structure was built from plans drawn by
Louis Asbury, a leading Charlotte architect who also designed the old County
Courthouse and Myers Park United Methodist Church, among many other major
Charlotte buildings. The Mount Carmel congregation dates back to 1878. Today
it is housed in a larger building and Old Mount Carmel is rented to another
SHOTGUN HOUSES, 1920s
Some say the "shotgun" house type was nicknamed for its resemblance to a
long, narrow shotgun barrel. A shotgun is a one-story dwelling consisting of
three or four rooms lined up one behind the other, with no hallway. This
unusual room arrangement has been traced back through Haiti to western
Today this street of houses, set close together with their porches lining
the narrow lane, is the best collection of shotguns left in Charlotte. It is
important to preserve some examples of these humble houses to show our
children what black neighborhoods once looked like, and to celebrate the
survival against the odds of an Afro-American house type.