Early Charlotte Manufacturers: Foundations of a World-Class City
These photos are taken from a 1907 publication Sketches of Charlotte
North Carolina's Finest City. This book came from the collection of Judy
E. Ferrell. Charlotte and Mecklenburg County's phenomenal twentieth-century
growth has its roots in the textile boom period from 1890-1930. Charlotte
had 15,000 inhabitants in 1890 and already 41,500 residents by the time of
these photographs in 1907. The industrial frenzy, based on the textile
industry, led to Charlotte's emergence as the largest city in the Carolinas
and laid the foundation for its leading role in national finance and
The gas and power plant constructed by the 4 C's ( Charlotte Consolidated
Construction Company), the developers of
Dilworth, the city's first suburb.
American Machine Company building.
Dilworth's manufacturing heart, as pictured in 1907. The building on the
left is the Charlotte Trouser Company. Next to it is the Park Manufacturing
Company, Charlotte Cordage Company, and, on the right, Mecklenburg Roller
A 1907 map showing the railroad connections within 100 miles of Charlotte.
It is clear that Charlotte had already emerged as the center of the textile
industry, with 9,000,000 looms and 2,000,000 spindles within a 100 mile
radius, representing $140,000,000 in capital. Southern Power Company
provided the electricity necessary for this rapid industrialization.