McCoy Slave Cemetery
Part of an ante-bellum plantation that has been destroyed this cemetery is important
to our understanding of life on Mecklenburg County Plantations. The McCoy family set up a trust fund at St. Mark's Episcopal
Church for the maintenance of the cemetery. The family also erected a marker in memory of two of their most trusted slaves.
W.T. Alexander Slave Cemetery
Mallard Creek Church Road
By 1861 Alexander owned more than thirty slaves, many of
whom are buried in a cemetery located in a wooded area off Mallard Creek Church Road. Apparently a slave named Violet was a
particular favorite of the Alexander family since hers is the only grave with a marked headstone. This resource is one of the few rural
resources associated with the African - American slave population during the ante-bellum period.