Charlotte's Non-Textile Industry in 1940
In 1940, there were 243 non-textile manufacturing plants in Charlotte. They employed 14,000 people and turned out $50 million in goods. Non-textile industry accounted for an ever-increasing share of the Charlotte economy. By 1975, the last cotton mill in Charlotte had closed, leaving textile manufacturing as a part of the past.
Lance's original location was in Dilworth along South Boulevard. As the snack food manufacturer grew, the location in Dilworth became too small. A new facility was built several miles further down South Boulevard. The building pictured here has now been converted into residential space.
Brown Equipment Company
Buckeye Cotton Oil Company
Charlotte Pipe & Foundry Company, interior view
Interstate Milling Company
Southern Spindle and Flyer Plant
Speas Vinegar Plant
Wade Loft Building
This site was developed using a Macintosh-compatible personal computer by Bruce Schulman for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission.