Historical Summaries of Significant Mecklenburg County Rural Resources
James A. Blakeney House (MK 1219), Blakeney Heath Road. The irregular form of the house, wrap-around porch and other details indicate the Queen Anne inspiration for this 1905 - 1906 Folk Victorian farmhouse. The size and modern style of this dwelling indicated the success of its original owner, James A. Blakeney. This property is a locally designated historic landmark.
Richard F. Blythe House (MK 1457), Beatties Ford Road. Built around 1848, The R.F. Blythe House is two-story, three-bay frame house with brick exterior end chimneys, a two-story rear wing and one-story rear ell. A Bungalow style porch was added to the rear of the house in 1928. Outbuildings include a log smokehouse. The appearance of the farmstead was dramatically altered by the flooding of Lake Norman, now quite near the house. However, this intrusion created a beautiful, isolated setting for the property. This property is a locally designated historic landmark.
Bradford House (U - 12), Davidson - Concord Road. This simple I-house is an important part of the rural character of the Ramah Church area. Located near the Shoaf House, the two properties offer a glimpse of uninterrupted rural character. The property retains several outbuildings and was probably built in the mid to late nineteenth century.
the two pictures above are the Bradford House (top) and Store (bottom)
Bradford House & Store (MK 1283), Davidson - Concord Road. The original section of this house was one story built in the 1880s. It likely existed when William Bradford bought the farm in 1890. Bradford added the second story soon after he purchased the property. The house is two stories tall, two rooms deep, with a front gabled projecting wing. Bradford was a county commissioner and a chicken farmer. The store was built in 1913 from concrete blocks made on the premises. A cotton gin was also on the property, but it was destroyed by fire. The property was owned by a descendent in 1988.
Byrum Bungalow (U - 01), Steele Creek Road. This early twentieth century bungalow was not included in the 1988 Gatza Survey. Thus, its historic name is not presently known. The modest house is significant to the historic Hayes-Byrum store area.
Byrum Cottage (U - 02), Steele Creek Road. Located directly behind Hayes-Byrum Store, this late nineteenth century gable and wing cottage is a significant part of the Hayes-Byrum Store area. The history of this property is not presently known since it was not included in the 1988 survey.
William Lester Byrum House (MK 1356), Steele Creek Road. This house was built just after the turn of the century by William Lester Byrum. It stands two stories with one story rear ells on the south and north sides. The house has a side gable roof with a projecting front-gable wing. Two-over-two sash windows, a fluted front door, transom window, and a single interior chimney are features of the Folk Victorian house. The front porch wraps around the house and displays a central pediment, classical columns and a hipped roof. The house is significant unto itself, but more importantly in association with the Hayes - Byrum store which is located next door. Lester Byrum purchased the store from George Hayes along with this house lot around 1900.
Caldwell Station School (MK 1284), off NC 115. Built in the 1920s, this school resembles the Rosenwald Schools found in Mecklenburg County. It would not have qualified for the Rosenwald funds, however, because this school was used by white children. Rehabilitated by a cooperative of parents in 1991, the building is currently used as a pre-school. It is an excellent example of a small community school and is a testament to the possibilities of adaptive reuse.