Historical Summaries of Significant Mecklenburg County Rural Resources
Davidson School (MK 1462) and Old Davidson School (MK 1463), Neck Road. The newer of these two schools is in a ruinous state near Neck Road. Built in 1911, the ruinous building replaced the 1890 school behind it (pictured above). Named for the Davidson family who owned the adjacent Rural Hill plantation, this school served all grades until 1923. After it ceased to operate as a school, the simple front gable building served as a tenant house and then as a hay barn. Restored in 1992 by the Charlotte - Mecklenburg Historic Preservation Foundation, the building is awaiting incorporation into an interpretive site.
Davis Brothers General Store (MK 1537), Old Statesville Road. Opened by Silas W. Davis and his brother Charles in 1908, the store in this exceptional brick commercial building is still operating. The goods were delivered on the railroad in front of the property until the 1920s. Charles' farmhouse was located across the street from the store, while S.W.'s is located beside it. The signs still visible on the building enhance the character of this important resource. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a locally designated historic landmark.
S.W. Davis House (MK 1539), Old Statesville Road. Although still a folk interpretation of the Queen Anne style, the high hip roof with projecting gables and pediments is not common in Mecklenburg County. In fact, this house exhibits a lavishness in detail that indicates Davis' high status as a merchant rather than a common farmer. Located between the Davis Brothers General Store and Croft Schoolhouse, this house contributes to the remarkable integrity seen in this tiny enclave. This property is a locally designated historic landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
John Deaton House (MK 1286), Shearer Road. This simple I-house was built in the 1880s by John Deaton. It features a tin roof, two-over-two sash windows, a front hip roof porch, and two end chimneys. In the 1930s, a store located on the property was moved and connected to the rear of the main house. Although the log barn that existed on the property was destroyed in the 1930s, a good collection of outbuildings remain behind the house.
John Dinkins House & Lodge (MK 7). The lodge building may have been the original dwelling for the John Rufus Dinkins family as early as 1788. In his 1809 will, Dinkins bequeathed thirty-two slaves, a very large number for that time. The large plantation house was likely constructed between 1795 and 1809. It displays a grand double front porch with full height classical columns that are uncommon in Mecklenburg County. The influence of the Georgian style is clearly observed in the massiveness of the building. After the completion of the plantation house, the old house was used as a lodge for travelers along the stagecoach road (now Nations Ford Road) from Charlotte to Camden, South Carolina. The house and lodge were moved to avoid demolition in 1992. Great care was taken to choose an appropriately rural site along the stage route. The original relationship between the buildings was also recreated. This property is an extremely important resource from Mecklenburg County's early history. The property is a locally designated historic landmark.
John Douglas House (MK 1361), Christie Lane. This circa 1867 house was built for John Douglas, minister of Steele Creek and Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Churches. Tradition holds that the choice of this housesite behind Steele Creek Presbyterian was made with the congregational unrest in mind. The one and a half story house is a late example of the Greek Revival style. The property retains some outbuildings and is a good example of a rural dwelling not associated with agriculture. This property is a locally designated historic landmark.
Edgewood Farmhouse (MK 1541), Eastfield Road. The circa 1840 house is one of the few examples of large plantation homes built in Mecklenburg County. The house was built for Robert Davidson Alexander. Alexander began his plantation in the one story log dwelling behind this house in 1829. The fine plantation house is a transitional example, having elements of both the Federal and Greek Revival styles. The interior chimneys found here are fairly unusual in Mecklenburg County and most of the southern United States. The property is a locally designated historic landmark.
Ewart House (MK 1287), Huntersville - Concord Road. Built for John F. Ewart in 1898 this house was the center of his farm where he grew cotton, corn, and wheat. Two large frame barns remain on the property owned by Mr. Ewart's daughter in 1988. The I-house is in the popular "triple-A" form with a decorative spindle work and sawnwork. The house is well preserved and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is significant for its distinctive architecture and the high integrity of the farm buildings.
Farm (U - 33), East Rocky River Road. Built in the early twentieth century, this one story farmhouse is quite modest. More significant than the house itself is the collection of historic outbuildings and fields that give an important insight into farm life early in this century. This farm is still in operation thereby preserving its original use. The property is currently being researched since it was not included in Gatza's 1988 survey.
Fincher Farm ( U - 23), McKee Road at Weddington Road. This working farm is an excellent example of an twentieth century farm. The craftsman bungalow farmhouse was probably built in the late 1920s or early 1930s. Two historic gambrel roof barns along with several other historic and modern farm buildings exist on this beautiful farm. This farm is significant because it is a well preserved example of an early twentieth century farm. More research is being conducted into the history of this previously unsurveyed property.